Deadline: 24 January 2020
Applicants are invited to submit their applications for Thought For Food (TFF) Challenge 2019-2020 which is an annual collaborative prize competition that creates successful, socially responsible food and agriculture startups in all parts of the world.
The Challenge is sponsored by the Thought For Food Foundation (“Foundation”), a non-profit charity incorporated in Delaware, USA. The foundation receives financial support from numerous organizations and businesses that help support Foundation’s mission.
The TFF Challenge calls on the next generation of changemakers from all parts of the world to create breakthrough solutions for sustainable and inclusive food systems. They are looking for locally-relevant solutions that address a wide range of pressing challenges across all parts of the food value chain from production to distribution through to consumption and waste.
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
- Finalists will receive an expense-paid trip for up to five (5) team members (“Trip”) to the location of the TFF Academy and TFF Summit.
- The prize includes (a) round-trip economy-class airfare from Finalists place of residence to the location of the TFF Academy and TFF Summit, (b) hotel accommodations for the duration of the TFF Academy and TFF Summit, (c) round trip airport transportation, and (d) meals during the TFF Academy and TFF Summit.
- Any taxes due on the Round 1 prize shall be the sole responsibility of Finalist.
- At TFF’s discretion, and if so directed by Finalists or required by applicable law, in TFF’s sole determination, all or part of the portion of the prize may be paid by TFF directly to the appropriate taxing authority on behalf of Finalist.
- Prize does not include assistance with other travel costs, document fees, application costs, or other expenses associated with obtaining a passport or visa, if required.
- No substitution of prizes is permitted. Prize is not assignable or transferable.
- Limit one prize per Finalist. If Finalist cannot take the Trip for any reason, Finalists will forfeit the prize and TFF may, at its option and in its sole discretion, select an alternate Finalist or the prize may not be awarded.
- All of the prize elements are subject to change and shall be determined by TFF in its sole discretion
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- The Challenge is open to individuals between the ages of 18 and 40 at time of entry (each, an “eligible participant”).
- In order to participate, teams must be comprised of at least 2 and no more than 5 eligible participants.
- Teams may be comprised of eligible participants from the same or different disciplines, communities, countries, universities, etc.
- Only one entry per team.
- Employees, vendors and contractors of Foundation and of Foundation donors or their affiliates are not eligible to enter or win.
- Innovative solutions: TFF commits to being on the cusp of new idea generation. Leverage breakthrough technologies and business models to create a project that is fresh and exciting, in a way that has never been seen before.
- Implementation & scalability: Food security solutions require short, medium, and long-term goals that shouldn’t end when their competition is over. The project should be implementable, with scalability potential that puts sustainability first.
- Uniqueness: The project should stand out among the wide-array of proposals they see, providing game-changing solutions and embodying a “wow” factor in terms of presentation, so that it gets noticed in a noisy world of innovation and startups.
- Team spirit: Being an innovator and an entrepreneur is one of the most exciting and rewarding things one can do. However, it is also a long and demanding journey. The team needs to demonstrate that it is able to withstand these challenges and deliver a solution that will improve lives.
Finalists will receive an expense-paid trip for up to five (5) team members (“Trip”) to the location of the TFF Academy and TFF Summit. The prize includes (a) round-trip economy-class airfare from Finalists place of residence to the location of the TFF Academy and TFF Summit, (b) hotel accommodations for the duration of the TFF Academy and TFF Summit, (c) round trip airport transportation, and (d) meals during the TFF Academy and TFF Summit.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
Finalists from Round 1 will be judged at the Thought For Food Global Summit by a second group of independent judges selected by Foundation. Finalists will be judged based on innovation, implementation, uniqueness, scientific/technical feasibility, business potential, and team spirit.
Finalists who complete the TFF Academy will be required to present their project live on stage at the Thought For Food Global Summit, which will occur March 26, 2020. Several prizes will be awarded.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.
After the judges have made their decisions, the prize winners of Round 2 will be notified at the Summit, as well as via social media and press releases, where the winners and the names of the winners will be displayed. If the selected winners are not eligible, in TFF’s sole judgment, TFF will select a new winner from among the Finalists.
The Grand Prize winner will receive $10,000 USD in grant money to use solely for the purpose of their project. The Runner Up will receive $7,500 USD in grant money to use solely for the purpose of their project. Foundation partner organizations such will award additional cash prizes – these include: the Kirchner Award winner will receive $5,000 USD in grant money to use solely for the purpose of their project, selected by the Kirchner Food Fellows and their independent criteria.
(Ad) How to raise funds? Where can I find a list of donors for my area of work? How to write proposals? How can I submit a grant request to USAID, the European Commission or the Gates Foundation? How can I use Social Media to promote my work? We have developed powerful resources in the form of Ebook and Articles covering all this information and more. Learn more.
The Borlaug Foundation Take it to the Farmer award winner will receive $2,500 USD in grant money to use solely for the purpose of their project, selected by an independent committee determining which innovation most impacts farmers. Other cash prizes may be added at a later stage.
For more information, visit https://tffdigitallabs.org/