Deadline: 31 May 2019
Applications are Open for Absa L’Atelier Art Competition 2019 that rewards young visual artists, aged 21 to 40, with the opportunity to develop their talents abroad.
The Absa L’Atelier art competition is hosted annually by Absa in partnership with the South African National Association for the Visual Arts (SANAVA).
There are four prizes for the 2019 competition: the main prize for the winner of each Group; and the Gerard Sekoto Award for a South African entrant that continues to demonstrate growth in their art production.
- The Ambassadors from each of the three Group blocks receive:
- A one-month residency at the Cité Internationale des Arts in Paris, followed by a two-month residency in South Africa.
- While taking up their two-month residency in South Africa, the artists will enjoy a weekly art masterclass.
- Winners are obliged to take up the residency during the period it is offered, and may not defer such prize to an alternate date.
- Should a winner elect to not accept the prize and/or any part thereof and/or be unable to accept same for any reason whatsoever, such prize will be offered to one of the other participants at Absa’s discretion, with the result that the refusing winner will not receive the prize and or any part thereof.
- A monthly stipend during their three-month residency.
- Coverage of all flights, travel-associated costs, and accommodation.
- All three Absa L’Atelier Ambassadors will take up their residency at the same time.
- While in Paris, artists will have an opportunity to network with their peers and local galleries, while being granted free access to a number of museums and galleries.
- While taking up their South African residency, artists will work together towards a group exhibition consisting of both individual and collaborative artworks.
- The exhibition will be documented in a printed catalogue.
- The winning artists’ exhibition will open in the Absa Gallery within a year after taking up their residency and the exhibition will then travel to each artist’s respective country.
- All entrants are eligible for this prize.
- The Ambassadors’ or main prize winners’ residency period is from March to May 2020.
- Gerard Sekoto Award
- The Alliance Française, the Institut Français d’Afrique du Sud, and the French Embassy in South Africa are sponsoring the Gerard Sekoto Award for the most promising South African artist who demonstrates continual growth in their work.
- This prize consists of a return-flight ticket to Paris, three months’ residence in the Cité Internationale des Arts, nationwide touring of exhibitions in France, and French language tutoring. The Cité Internationale des Arts in Paris residencies are made available by SANAVA.
- Winners are obliged to take up the residency during the period it is offered and may not defer such prize to an alternate date.
- Should a winner elect to not accept the prize and/or any part thereof and/or be unable to accept same for any reason whatsoever, such prize will be offered to one of the other participants at Absa’s discretion, with the result that the refusing winner will not receive the prize and/or any part thereof.
- The competition is open to all artists who are not younger than 21 and not older than 40 on 31 May 2019. In the case of art students, only students in their final year of study, who meet the age requirements, may participate.
- All prize winners are required to take up the prize (residency) as per the date mentioned in the entry details.
- Only artists who are citizens or have been granted permanent residency of South Africa, Kenya, Zambia, Ghana, Botswana, Uganda, Mozambique, Mauritius, the Seychelles, Tanzania, Nigeria or Namibia and are currently residing in one of these countries, may enter the competition. The airfare to the Absa Gallery and the residency in France or South Africa forms part of the prize and is only from the participating countries.
- If the information is not captured accurately on the system and any information is missing from the online registration, the entrant will automatically be disqualified.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply online via given website.
For more information, please visit https://lateliercompetition.com/