Deadline: 15 April 2018
Applications are open for GSMA Ecosystem Accelerator Innovation Fund to provide selected start-ups in Africa and Asia Pacific with equity-free funding, technical assistance, and the opportunity to partner with mobile operators in their markets to help scale their products and services into sustainable businesses with positive socio-economic impact.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
For the third round, the Fund will be supporting start-ups willing to work with mobile operators. The fund is sector-agnostic and open to post-revenue start-ups using mobile to solve local challenges in Asia-Pacific and Africa.
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
The objectives of the Fund are to:
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
- Establish partnerships between mobile operators and start-ups in order to increase the reach of innovative mobile services to low-income citizens.
- Test business models with the greatest potential for growth and impact in Asia-Pacific and Africa.
- Provide lessons and examples on the ways in which mobile is driving positive socio-economic change.
- The three types of projects the Fund is interested in are:
- Type 1 – Launch of new product or service; a project where a brand-new value proposition is developed and launched.
- Type 2 – Expansion into a new market; a project which launches an existing product/service into a new market.
- Type 3 – Scaling-up an existing product; a project to extend the reach/customer base of an existing product/service in the same market it was originally launched in.
- Applicants are expected to submit and justify their requirements for the project to be funded, as well their reasons for the funding amount requested:
- The amount can be between GBP100,000 and GBP250,000 (AUD180,000 and AUD450,000).
- The funding requires a certain level of matching from the applicant.
- The duration of the project can be between 9 and 12 months.
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
- Africa: Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo Dem Rep., Congo Rep., Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Swaziland, São Tomé and Principe, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Asia: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Vietnam.
- Pacific: Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Nauru, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Pitcairn Islands, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Timor-Leste, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu.
The Fund is sector-agnostic and open to post-revenue start-ups using mobile technology to solve local challenges and who are registered and operating in Asia-Pacific and Africa (mentioned above). Available grants will fund projects for 9 to 12 months.
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.
To be eligible to apply, start-ups must meet the following criteria:
- Use or be planning to use mobile technology strategically.
- Have clear and measurable socio-economic impact, in particular: targeting low-income citizens, rural populations, women and/or youth.
- Have the potential and appetite to form strategic partnerships with mobile operators.
- Have active users and revenue in at least one market.
- Be registered and operating in the country of project implementation. The start-up must also be registered in the country where they will receive the grant money (if not the same as the implementation country). Be fully compliant with relevant business licensing, taxation, employee and other regulations in all countries of operation.
- Be compliant with all applicable laws including upholding/adhering to fundamental human rights, UK Modern Slavery Acts, Gender Equality Act, Child Protection Policies and all international labour standards.
- Have 50% matching funding for the total grant amount.
How to Apply
(Ad) Lots of grant opportunities but no idea how to write a proposal to apply for them? We have a huge collection of sample proposals available only for Premium Members. You can view these proposals and even request for download. Get ideas from other successful grantees and write your proposal quickly. Learn more.
- Applications will be assessed through a 2-stage application process, which is then reviewed by an independent Fund Panel.
- Pitch stage
- Proposal stage
- Applicants can apply via given website.
For more information, please visit GSMA.