The Karibu Foundation has launched Grant Program to support alternative voices from the Global South that provide alternatives to the dominant paradigms of power, distribution, and development.
Karibu has grown out of a spirituality, a practical, faith-based commitment, and a critical and analytic understanding of power and domination in the world. The aims of Karibu are therefore to bring together and support agencies that use analytical insight, moral courage, and strategic clarity in their struggle to create a just world.
Karibu’s primary objectives are:
- To provide economic support to organizations and networks in the South that work for a just world;
- To strategically cooperate with these organizations and networks, support network-building processes, and convey the thoughts and experiences of their partners to various arenas in the Global North.
Karibu therefore seeks to partner with organizations, networks and movements that are anchored in the Global South that are making strong and critical contributions to the development of societies and local communities that:
- Are genuinely inclusive and participatory (political, social and cultural justice);
- Are focused on correcting uneven balances of power, and are filling the gap between rich and poor – within nations and between nations (economic justice);
- Acknowledge humanity’s dependence on nature and encourage ecologically sustainable development models.
The Foundation grants are aimed at:
- Providing human, professional and economic resources to enable movements to continue their struggle for justice
- Providing support to networks and initiatives that work for deeper analysis, stronger representation and improved capacity for advocacy
- Establishing meeting points and joint approaches between groups in the South (South-South), as well as with groups in the North (South-North), to form global alliances in the struggle for justice.
The projects that Karibu supports are generally related to the areas of mobilizing efforts, information, legislative and research efforts, bridge-building, dialogue, and capacity building.
- Karibu does not provide a standard (fixed) amount for grants. Each application is processed on a case-by-case basis, and a grant from Karibu will be determined based on various factors and in communication with the applicant organization.
- For first time grantees, Karibu rarely provides grants for more than USD 15.000,- to a project spanning over the course of one year. The final amount might be less than this amount.
- The Karibu Foundation supports activities and movements that are anchored in the Global South, which are providing alternatives to the dominant paradigms of power, distribution, and development.
- Projects that Karibu supports are primarily related to the areas of information exchanges, mobilizing efforts, legislative and research efforts, bridge-building, dialogue, and capacity building.
- Karibu provides grants to organizations, networks and movements in the Global South that embody the following qualities in their struggle to create this new world:
- Strategic clarity;
- Analytic insight;
- Moral courage;
- Systemic focus;
- Grassroots anchoring.
- Karibu does not give support to the regular operation of development projects, such as health, education, infrastructure and/or agriculture. They also do not support projects connected to an individual, such as scholarships for education.
For more information, visit https://www.karibu.no/our-partners/apply-for-a-grant/