Two early casualties of media cost-cutting caused by the COVID-19 pandemic have been freelancers and casual contributors. To address this the Judith Neilson Institute has created a fund to support these journalists and provide some cost-relief to media organisations.
Media organisations are invited to apply for financial support for freelancers and casual contributors to undertake specific projects. This might be one story, or a series of stories, or it might be editorial support, or a photography assignment. There is no limitation on topics. All media organisations, including independent and regional media are encouraged to apply.
Applications must meet the following criteria:
- The application must be for a freelancer or casual contributor, not permanent staff.
- Media organisations will be required to acquit the grant, including by providing valid invoices from freelancers or casual contributors.
- The application must be for a specific project or task. There is no limitation on topics.
- The grant is intended to support reporting, including editorial work and photography.
- Applications will only be accepted from Australian media organisations, not from freelancers or casual contributors directly.
For more information, visit https://jninstitute.org/partnerships/support-for-freelancers-and-casual-contributors-during-the-covid-19-pandemic-01042020-150826