Deadline: 17 August 2016
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Sierra Leone is seeking proposals for a program entitled “Implementation of a local Area based development initiative using entry points of strengthening access to primary Health Care, Community Governance and Livelihoods Support”.
The project aims to strengthen rural resilience to disasters such as Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) by promoting an integrated approach to improved health outcomes and community development for border communities. This will be achieved by restoring access to basic health care facilities, changing health seeking behavior, strengthening the capacity of local health workers, supporting health service delivery and strengthening local governance for the inclusion of all stakeholders in decision making process.
In addition, UNDP will promote economic recovery through the refurbishment of local health/WASH infrastructures through the provision of cash for work initiatives that have the dual purpose of improving community infrastructures and stimulating local economic development. The project is developed based on UNDP’s Ebola Recovery Strategy approach to support the government of Sierra Leone post Ebola national recovery plans.
- Mapping of available community health/WASH infrastructures and the development of community health plans;
- Support to the rehabilitation and refurbishment of local health and grassroots infrastructure for improvement of access to basic health and/or WASH services in the target communities; and
- Support local community health promotion activities to improve health seeking behavior, where possible through the use of mobile phone technologies. The successful IP will coordinate a pilot outreach intervention which upon success may be expanded to surrounding communities.
- Livelihood and Economic Recovery
- Support income generating activities and restoration of livelihoods for selected border communities through immediate cash transfers for the refurbishment/upgrade of existing community infrastructures.
- Local Governance
- Support and strengthen the capacities of existing community governance structures (i.e. VDCs) to take an active role in the determination and prioritization of community health needs, including the development of health infrastructure plans; and
- Support and strengthen accountability and voice mechanism at the community level for the delivery of basic health services and community development.
- Mapping of health/WASH infrastructures and development of prioritsed health development plans;
- Implement works as per health/development plans developed;
- Strengthen community based planning, implementation and monitoring for local and health related issues;
- Support the review and or modification of existing and available health promotion materials and IEC materials;
- Support the development of innovative health promotion platforms (i.e mobile phone platforms); and
- Support and expand outreach efforts by community health workforce to targeted communities, reflecting prioritized community health needs.
- Livelihood and Economic Recovery
- Supporting and monitoring cash injections to local communities through cash for work schemes via refurbishment or expansion of existing health or community infrastructure. The IP will coordinate with UNDP to identify/establish linkage between all levels of community infrastructures whilst simultaneously supporting administration support for all cash for work payments;
- Support engagement with range of micro-credit and financial institutions to provide services to targeted communities. This will necessitate the IP to engage MFI’s to develop a range of tailored financial services for the selected target communities; and
- Facilitate savings led behaviour for future investments in the maintenance/improvement of community infrastructure and or service delivery. This will entail the IP to liaise with the relevant community members to develop tailored development plans.
- Local Governance/Capacity Development
- Build capacity of village development committee (VDC) in terms of roles of responsibility, community development planning and monitoring infrastructural development per village agreement;
- Strengthen coordination mechanisms between VDCs, ward development committees and relevant local council counterparts;
- Build the capacities of local structures to plan, implement, monitor, report and manage development projects;
- Support establishment of community based monitoring and quality assurance systems and mechanisms; and
- Promote community based accountability and voice mechanisms e.g score cards
How to Apply
Interested applicants can send their applications through email at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit UNDP/Sierra Leone.