Deadline: 10 July 2020
The U.S Embassy in Dushanbe, Tajikistan announces a Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) to help the National Bank of Tajikistan (NBT) continue strengthening its financial oversight of anti-money laundering and combatting the finance of terrorism (AML/CFT) transactions. The program also aims to provide the NBT with the basic monetary tools it needs to promote economic growth and stability.
The implementer will work directly with the National Bank of Tajikistan, a committed partner for reform in Tajikistan’s banking sector, to deter money laundering, prevent terrorist financing, strengthen financial stability, and increase financial inclusion in Tajikistan. The NBT undertakes numerous donor-financed technical assistance programs, so the implementer would need to work in coordination with other donors to ensure no duplication of efforts.
- Objective 1: Strengthen Financial Stability to Rebuild Public Trust in Tajikistan’s Financial Sector through Improved Financial Inclusion.
- Objective 2: Strengthen Capacity of Regulators and Private Sector to Detect and Report Suspicious Transactions to Law Enforcement and Strengthen Financial Stability.
Expected Results include:
- Creation of capacity-building activities in the areas of financial integrity, banking stability, and risk management policies within the National Bank of Tajikistan and local government agencies, while expanding access to credit.
- Establish new anti-money laundering and fraud reporting mechanisms with the aim of combatting the finance of terrorism as a result of this project.
- Development of methodology for classification of assets and liabilities in accordance with IFRS 9 financial instruments; and provide training to accounting staff.
- Establish recommendations for improving enforcement policies and complete technical assistance trainings that can be implemented throughout Tajikistan’s national banking sector.
- Promote financial products and recommendations on managing potential financial risk in consultation with the NBT.
- Funding Amount: $ 987,750 US Dollars
- Period of Performance: 24 months
- Anticipated Award Date: September 2020
- Anticipated Project Completion Date: September 2022
Participants and Audiences
Activities should include both public and private beneficiaries in Tajikistan’s financial sector. Technical trainings for the NBT and other Tajik government agencies should be combined with outreach and training for public financial institutions to promote financial inclusion.
Eligibility is limited to U.S. Non-profit/non-governmental organizations (NGOs) having a 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, or overseas-based non-profit/non-governmental organizations, U.S. or overseas private/state institutions of higher education.
Additionally, applicants must:
- Demonstrate experience implementing projects similar to those addressed in this NOFO.
- Demonstrate experience in the area of building sound financial systems in emerging market countries, increasing financial inclusion, strengthening AML/CFT supervision and compliance; and building the capacity of central banks in the area of financial stability.
For more information, visit https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=327027