Deadline: 21 July 2019
The United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER), together with SA-TIED partners the National Treasury of the Republic of South Africa (NT) and the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) are inviting proposals from qualified researchers for high quality economic and/or political economy analysis in any of the five focus areas of the work stream on regional growth and development for Southern Africa’s prosperity.
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER) is implementing, together with its partners over the period 2017–20, a research programme entitled Southern Africa – Toward Inclusive Economic Development (SA-TIED) with the aim of enhancing economic research, capacity-building, and policy dialogue in Southern Africa. This request is for research proposals relevant to South Africa’s role in the larger regional economy of Southern Africa.
This area of research is designed to enhance their understanding of the South African economy within the larger Southern Africa regional context. It consists of five focus areas:
- South Africa, SADC and Beyond;
- South Africa as a Regional Investor;
- Spatial Economy of Southern Africa;
- Political Economy of Regional Growth; and
- Strengthening Regional Value Chains.
An important aspect of the research design is to encourage systematic integration of political economy perspectives under each focus area.
The objectives of this RFRP are to:
- Provide an opportunity for researchers to conduct policy-relevant research on topics of relevance to South Africa’s role in the larger Southern African regional economy.
- Facilitate policy dialogue through engaging with researchers on policy-relevant issues and ensuring that the research findings are communicated effectively to stakeholders — including the academic community, policy makers, and civil society via policy summaries and dialogue.
- A total research honorarium in the range of US$3,000-10,000 will be paid upon delivery of a working paper, depending on the qualifications of the lead researcher and assessment of the proposal.
- A local expenses allowance of maximum US$2,500 per proposal and US$5,000 per proposal will be paid, depending on an assessment of costs required to undertake the proposed research.
Please note: UNU-WIDER only commissions original research which has not been published elsewhere. To ensure the quality and originality of research, all submitted studies are analysed with iThenticate software at the first deliverable stage and prior to publication.
- Proposals from individuals, groups of individuals, as well as non-profit organizations are welcome;
- Researchers can be based in Southern Africa or internationally and can combine researchers from different countries and institutions; and
- Special consideration will be given to Southern African research teams that include junior and early-career researchers, as well as researchers from previously disadvantaged groups.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply via given website.
For more information, please visit https://www.wider.unu.edu/opportunity/regional-growth-and-development-southern-africa%E2%80%99s-prosperity-0