Deadline: 2 January 2018
The East-West Center (EWC) is seeking applications from scholars and analysts who wish to undertake research and writing on topics of relevance to contemporary US-Asia policy.
EWC is particularly interested in proposals regarding key challenges in U.S.-Asia relations and possible responses and approaches to addressing those challenges. Specific topics of interest include but are not limited to:
- competing economic initiatives in Asia;
- changes in relationships between Asian countries and their impact on the U.S.; and
- sustaining U.S. alliances and partnerships
- To facilitate this research and allow participants to engage with the resources and experts of the U.S. policy community, the Asia Studies Visiting Fellowship (ASVF) finances residencies for a period of 3 months at the East-West Center in Washington in Washington, D.C. Exceptional proposals that justify up to 6 months will be considered in rare circumstances if funds and space allow.
- The fellowship includes a monthly stipend of US$2,500 to $5,000 (dependent upon experience) while in residence at the EWC in Washington; office space and accompanying resources; and round trip economy airfare to Washington, D.C.
- Applicants with or without a Ph.D. will be considered; those without a Ph.D. will be considered based on their relevant professional experience.
- Applicants must be nationals of a country from the Asia-Pacific or the United States (see below for a list of eligible countries) and eligible to receive a fellowship stipend.
How to Apply
- Successful applications will include:
- A completed online application form
- A full CV Two letters of reference
- A 5-page (double spaced) policy-relevant research proposal of five pages
- Applications must be submitted online via given website.
- United States
- Southeast Asia: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, East Timor, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam
- East Asia: China (Hong Kong, Macau, Mainland, Taiwan), Japan, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Republic of Korea, Mongolia, Russia.
- South Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Iran, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
- Pacific Region: American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Northern Marianas, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis & Futuna Islands.
For more information, please visit Asia Studies Fellowship Program.