Deadline: 10 February 2017
The Center for the Rights of Ethiopian Women (CREW) is seeking applications for its “The Maigenet Shifferraw Fellowship” to promote scholarship on Ethiopian women as well as empower and/or advance women’s wellbeing in Ethiopia.
The Fellowship is guided by two philosophies or principles.
- First, the experience of Ethiopian women and girls, like in other parts of the world, needs to be researched and documented so that all can gain some knowledge and serve humanity better.
- Second, those who strive to protect women and girl’s rights and improve their situation need to be recognized and encouraged.
- Academic Fellowship
The Fellowship offers a one-time financial assistance, up to US $2,000.00, to individuals who conduct research on Ethiopian girls or women and are near completion of submitting their thesis for the Master’s degree or dissertation for the Ph.D. from recognized universities. Applicants are required to submit the following:
- Submit a convincing and successful cover letter
- Submit a research proposal and must address, theoretical framework, relevant literature review, bibliography, and research methodology
- Provide evidence of scholarship from thesis or dissertation chairperson written on official letterhead
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a reputable person who can write about the dependability and personal integrity of the researcher and the benefit of the research to women or girls in Ethiopia
- Indicate how the money will be expended
- The proposal must not be less than five and not more than ten pages.
- Community Support
The Fellowship will provide a one-time financial assistance, up to US$2,000.00, to an organization in Ethiopia that promotes the wellbeing and/or empowerment of women and girls in Ethiopia. Applicants are required to indicate the following in their proposal:
- The history of the organization, its track-record, and dedication to empowering or improving the situation of girls or women in Ethiopia
- A letter of recommendation from one of the beneficiaries of the service of the organization
- Other relevant information about the organization such as its website, media-exposure, etc.
- Statement on how the grant fund will be spent
- The proposal must not be less than five or more than ten pages.
- Research proposals can be submitted from all over the world but the research must focus on Ethiopian girls and women.
- Organizations who work on empowering or improving the situation of girls or women in Ethiopia must operate in Ethiopia.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted via email at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit The Maigenet Shifferraw Fellowship.