Deadline: 28 February 2019
The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA) is organizing the “Best Sustainable Development in the Arab Region” competition to capture sustainable development initiatives across Arab countries and highlight the region’s efforts to reach the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), adopted universally in 2015.
ESCWA is collaborating in organizing this competition with United Nations information centers in the Arab region. It is expected that the participants in the competition to think and see the development through their lenses and from the perspective of the privacy of the Arab region that the transfer of images a story can be presented in a press or abstract way to reflect the ideas of photographers and their feeling.
The goals of sustainable development are to call on all poor, rich and middle-income countries to work to promote prosperity while taking into account the protection of the planet. These goals recognize that poverty eradication must go hand in hand with strategies that foster economic growth and address a range of social needs including education, health, social protection and employment while tackling climate change and protecting the environment.
The top three winners will participate in the Arab Forum for Sustainable Development 2019. The winners will be announced in the Arab countries, and the rich collection of photos will be stored. A photo will be available to users and visitors of the “Sustainable Development Portal”, which operates in a unique way.
The judges look forward to awarding prizes for the best images in the following ten major categories: poverty, agriculture and the food industry, (Waste and poverty), health, education and culture, economics, finance, landscapes, urban slums, Natural world and life.
Here are the questions participants must ask themselves during the competition so that their work can take place in their context:
- How can sustainable development goals (contained in the 2030 Sustainable Development Plan) affect the Arab region?
- How will the implementation of one or more of the objectives of sustainable development affect the concepts, behaviors and consumption patterns?
- What is the way in which the people of the Arab region think or deal with the issues of sustainable development?
- What can people do to support the implementation of the changes called for in the 2030 Sustainable Development Plan ?
- What opportunities are available to the region to achieve one or more sustainable development objective
- Both amateur and professional photographers of any Arab nationality are invited to participate by submitting up to 20 photos related to one or more of the 17 SDGs.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply via given website.
For further informatin, please visit https://arabsdg.unescwa.org/ar/ar/participate-photo-compete