The Hawai‘i State Foundation on Culture and the Arts (HSFCA) provides public funds through Biennium Grants to support projects designed to promote, perpetuate and preserve culture and the arts in Hawai’i.
The legal provisions of the Biennium Grants are in Sections 9-11 through 9-18 of the Hawai’i Revised Statutes. The Grants budget is contingent on the State fiscal biennium and appropriations from the Hawai’i State Legislature and the National Endowment for the Arts.
There are four grant categories that align to the SFCA Strategic Priorities 2019-2023. Applicants may submit an application to one of these categories for either or both years. Category and project can be the same or different for each year.
- Heritage/Preservation (culture)
- Community Arts (engagement)
- Arts Education (education)
- Presentation/Performing Arts (the arts)
- Biennium Grant requests must be in the range of minimum $5,000 to maximum $15,000 per application.
- Non-profit organization, 501(c)3 exempt from federal income tax by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Applicant must have at least one year of experience with project to request grant support.
- Only one application per applicant grant cycle.
- Application must be entirely completed and submitted via the Hawaii GO Smart online application system. No applications will be accepted by email or hard copy.
- Project must take place in the State of Hawai’i.
Items Not Funded
- Building, renovation, maintenance of facilities, or other capital expenditures
- Activities that are not completed within the project period
- Fellowships, scholarships, theses, or dissertations
- Fund raising
- Grant management fees or indirect cost rates
- Commissioning visual artists to execute professional works of art
- Costs for food and/or refreshments
- Equipment purchases and/or long-term rentals for more than one year of any two year biennium
- Foreign travel
- Subgrants or regrants
- Interest payments, insurance, or similar finance costs
- Utilities costs (water, electricity, or telephone)
- Un-itemized miscellaneous
- Accounting costs, including audits
- Maintenance costs of any kind
- Technology-related expenses, including but not limited to computer hardware or software, Internet, website, or E-mail, or contracted assistance to design or maintain such services
For more information, visit https://sfca.hawaii.gov/programs-for-organizations/biennium-grants/