The Open Technology Fund (OTF) has announced the Rapid Response Fund that aims to facilitate the digital emergency response community to resolve threats in a timely and comprehensive manner for individuals, communities, and organizations whose free expression has recently been repressed.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
To resolve digital emergencies, OTF offers both direct financial support as well as technical services from trusted partners to high-risk people and organizations, such as bloggers, cyber activists, journalists, and human rights defenders.
The Rapid Response Fund offers two types of support to organizations, activists, journalists, and other human rights defenders facing digital attacks and emergencies of various kinds: 1) technological services from trusted service partners and 2) direct financial support for the many needs that cannot be fulfilled by available service partners.
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
The Rapid Response Fund does not provide support for projects that are more long-term in nature or that aim to build digital security capacity among groups or organizations.
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
- Digital security audits for organizations
- Urgent risk mitigation for organizations
- Rapid assessment and crisis response planning for organizations
- DDoS response and mitigation
- Secure web hosting
- Secure hosting, monitoring, and resiliency of websites during special events (elections, campaigns etc.)
- VPN connections
- Safe Internet connections
- Forensic analysis of digital attacks
- Recovery of compromised websites
- Audit of presumably compromised websites
- Malware analysis
- The total value of support cannot exceed 50,000 USD. Average support amounts are between 5,000 and 25,000 USD.
- OTF provide anywhere from $1 to $50,000 for a period of six months or less for individuals or groups carrying out efforts such as:
- Establishing new Internet connections (such as VPNs) when existing connections have been cut off or are being restricted;
- Providing personal digital protection for online journalists, human rights defenders, NGOs, activists and bloggers;
- Rapid development of tools or translations needed to respond adequately to emergencies;
- Developing decentralized, mobile Internet applications that can link computers as an independent network (mesh or delay-tolerant networks);
- Any appropriate response to digital emergencies not listed above
Monitoring and Evaluation
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
Recognizing that digital emergencies and response to those emergencies are unique to each situation, they individually tailor monitoring and evaluation of these efforts. M&E can include a periodic report on the successes/shortfalls of the support, a report back upon completion of support, or some other appropriate method of communication.
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.
- Individuals of all ages irrespective of nationality, creed or sex;
- Individuals who demonstrate skill and ability to conduct rapid response work;
- Individuals who have intimate knowledge of the communities they are working with, and the digital threats they experience.
- They are not able to support applicants within countries that the United States has trade restrictions or export sanctions as determined by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC);
- All payments will be made in U.S. dollars (USD) and will comply with local laws, regulations and ethics rules. Each applicant is responsible for the tax consequences of any support they receive, as determined by the laws of their country.
- It is each individual and organization’s sole responsibility to comply with any policies any pre-existing employer, etc. may have that would affect your eligibility to receive support from OTF.
- Quality of project idea: When applying for direct funding, applications should exhibit originality, substance, precision, and relevance to the mission of promoting freedoms of expression, assembly, and association online.
- Ability to achieve objectives: A relevant work plan should demonstrate substantive undertakings and logistical capacity of the organization. The work plan should adhere to the program overview and guidelines described above. Objectives should be ambitious, yet specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound. For complete scopes of work, applicants will have to provide a monthly timeline of project activities.
- Multiplier effect/sustainability: Proposed programs should address how the expected results will contribute to improving Internet freedom goals.
- Applicant’s record and capacity OTF will consider the past performance of prior recipients and the demonstrated potential of new applicants.
For more information, visit https://www.opentech.fund/funds/rapid-response-fund/
(Ad) Lots of grant opportunities but no idea how to write a proposal to apply for them? We have a huge collection of sample proposals available only for Premium Members. You can view these proposals and even request for download. Get ideas from other successful grantees and write your proposal quickly. Learn more.