The Arts Council Malta is seeking applications for the Project Research and Development Scheme to enable individuals, groups, and organizations to plan, develop, be represented in, and deliver on Council’s strategic goals and ongoing strategy – primarily addressing creative professionals and communities by:
- Nurturing creative potential and supporting its development, by encouraging co-creation, collaboration and experimentation.
- Investing in artistic excellence, by encouraging levels of creative risk, experimentation, and active engagement of communities – supporting quality projects, as well as identifying talent and encouraging its development.
- Documenting and carrying out research into Malta’s past and present artistic and cultural communities, as well as Malta’s artistic legacy.
The scheme forms part of Arts Council Malta’s funding schemes which aim to invest in exploratory projects that allow creative professionals and communities to experiment, test their work, engage, be duly represented, collaborate, and develop their ideas further. Applications submitted may form part of the initial phase of a wider project/body of work or can be self-contained.
This scheme will comprise of two main areas of focus. Applicants may choose to focus on one or more of these areas within their projects:
- Artistic practice – Research into artistic concepts, techniques, and subjects – Exploratory research adopting innovative or untested approaches in the conception, creation and development of artistic work – Research into Malta’s artistic communities, with a view to document Malta’s artistic legacy in an open and sustainable manner.
- Community and audience engagement – Exploring participatory approaches to audience engagement in order to deepen engagement with existing or new audiences – Experimenting with innovative methods of experiential engagement with audiences – Research into ways to improve access to the arts and promote inclusive participation and greater diversity within the arts.
There is a ceiling amount of €8,000 per project to be allocated. Amounts awarded will be decided on a case-by-case basis, depending on the project.
- Creative professionals/individual artists; Entities registered with the Malta Business Registry (including companies, partnerships, foundations and organisations/associations); Groups, collectives and consortia; Registered cooperatives; Voluntary organisations enrolled with the Commissioner for Voluntary Organisations.
- This scheme supports project proposals involving research and implementation phases. The scheme may focus on creative and/or practice-based artistic research, led by one or more creative professionals, leading to the development of a creative concept, as well as the development and production of an artistic project which has innovation, quality and artistic development as primary aims. This scheme also encourages community-based research projects.
- Creative professionals/individual artists
- Entities registered with the Malta Business Registry (including companies, partnerships, foundations and organisations/associations)
- Groups, collectives and consortia
- Registered cooperatives
- Voluntary organisations enrolled with the Commissioner for Voluntary Organisations.
For more information, visit https://www.artscouncilmalta.org/pages/funds-opportunities/schemes-2022/project-research-and-development-scheme/