The Santa Barbara Foundation is pleased to launch the Small Capacity Building Program Grants to strengthen the organizational capacity and programmatic effectiveness of nonprofit organizations serving Santa Barbara County.
The Santa Barbara Foundation recognizes that non-profits needs have had to dramatically shift in how they serve their clients due to the COVID-19 outbreak across the state and country. To better equip agencies to both maintain social distancing and assure the health and safety of their employees.
The Santa Barbara Foundation has established the following guidelines for its Small Capacity Building grants in the following areas.
- Defined projects that allow the agency to equip its workforce to either work remotely and / or serve its clients remotely through phone, online video or other means
- Small capital items and equipment that specifically allow your staff to serve clients and fulfill its mission
- Organizational development and capacity building
- Staff or board training and development
- The maximum award for Small Capacity Building Grant is $ 5,000.
- The grant period is up to one year from the award date. A final report is required and is due within 13 months of the grant award, preferably no later than 30 days following the project completion.
- Organizations must be certified as tax exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or use a fiscal sponsor with 501(c)(3) tax status. Applications that do not contain a valid EIN (tax ID) number will not be considered.
- The foundation accepts applications from public entities such as schools, universities, and libraries through an affiliate or supporting 501(c)(3) organization.
- An agency acting as the fiscal sponsor on behalf of a community collaborative may be eligible to submit proposals on behalf of its own agency needs as well as the needs of the collaborative. Please contact a member of the Community Engagement team for more information and to discuss your specific situation.
- A fiscal sponsor may submit one application on behalf of their organization and one application acting as a fiscal sponsor per grant program in a calendar year.
- Small Capacity Grants are available for organizations serving all regions of Santa Barbara County.
Small Capacity Building Grants are NOT made for:
- General operating support
- Program expansion or support for existing programs
- Fundraising events
- Endowment funds
- Reimbursement of expenses already expended
- One-time events, including recurring annual events (other than collaborative learning opportunities)
- Tuition requests for Leading From Within programs (The foundation directly supports scholarship opportunities through its partnership with Leading From Within.)
For more information, visit https://www.sbfoundation.org/nonprofits/grant-opportunities/