Deadline: 15 September 2016
The Social Science Research Council (SSRC) and the Japan Foundation Center for Global Partnership (CGP) have announced the Abe Fellowship for Journalists (AFJ). Funding for the fellowship is provided by CGP.
The Abe Fellowship for Journalists is designed to encourage in-depth coverage of topics of pressing concern to the United States and Japan through individual short-term policy-related projects.
Applicants are invited to submit proposals on one of the four themes below.
- Threats to Personal, Societal, and International Security
- Growth and Sustainable Development
- Especially welcome topics include global financial stability, trade imbalances and agreements, adjustment to globalization, climate change and adaptation, and poverty and inequality.
- Social, Scientific, and Cultural Trends and Transformations
- Especially welcome topics include aging and other demographic change, benefits and dangers of reproductive genetics, gender and social exclusion, expansion of STEM education among women and underrepresented populations, migration, rural depopulation and urbanization, impacts of automation on jobs, poverty and inequality, and community resilience.
- Governance, Empowerment, and Participation
- The AFJ competition is open to citizens of the United States and Japan with at least five years of professional journalistic experience with newspapers, newsmagazines, wire services, and online news organizations. Freelancers are also eligible. Nationals of other countries must be permanent residents of the United States or Japan, or have a long-term affiliation with the American or Japanese journalistic communities.
- US-based applicants with no previous journalistic employment in Japan have priority; Japan-based applicants with no previous journalistic employment in the United States have priority.
- Proposals must be nonpartisan.
- Fellowship awards are contingent upon receipt of funding from the Japan Foundation Center for Global Partnership.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online via given website.
Eligible Countries: US and Japan
For more information, please visit Abe Fellowship for Journalists.