Deadline: 15 September 2016
Bitch Media, an independent, nonprofit feminist media organization has announced the Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers, a series of three-month intensive writing fellowships whose goal is to develop, support, and amplify emerging, diverse voices in feminist, activist, and pop-culture media.
Bitch Media’s mission is to provide and encourage an engaged, thoughtful response to mainstream media and pop culture. We strive to be a fresh, revitalizing voice in contemporary feminism, one that welcomes complex arguments and refuses to ignore the contradictory and often uncomfortable realities of life in an unequivocally gendered world.
Fellows will work in one of four subject areas during the fellowship period:
- Reproductive rights & justice
- Pop-culture criticism
- Global feminism
During the 3-month fellowships, fellows will:
- Produce a minimum of six online articles for Bitch Media in the topic area of their fellowship. These pieces can take a variety of forms: reported, analytical, advocacy-focused, even infographic, and are least 600 words in length.
- Produce at least one long form article to be published in the quarterly magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture.
- Participate in biweekly discussions (by phone or Skype if fellows cannot meet in person) with the fellowship director and other members of the Bitch Media staff.
- Receive mentorship and support in creating, shaping, and editing articles and blog posts.
- Receive follow-up support with placing future articles and essays, and make great connections within the feminist-media community.
- Have access to the Bitch Media library, which houses more than 2,000 books on feminist theory and activism; gender, race, and queer studies; pop-culture criticism, and social-justice history.
- Receive a $2,000 stipend for the three-month fellowship.
- This fellowship was created in order to cultivate and amplify new voices. The writer who has minimal publication experience, are strongly encouraged to apply. Those having passion about one of the above subject areas without having a history of writing or blogging about them are strongly encouraged to apply.
- This is not a full-time position, but an independent fellowship designed for writers who want to develop confident, well-rounded voices and are particularly interested in feminist criticism and mission-driven journalism. Fellows may be based globally, and U.S. citizenship or residence is not required to be a fellow. Writers who have contributed to Bitch before will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Bitch Media is an independent 501(c)3 organization and an equal-opportunity employer. The qualified writers of any age, race, color, gender, religion, ancestry, disability, marital status, and sexual orientation are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online via given website.
For more information, please visit Bitch Media Fellowships.