Deadline: 31 August 2019
The program will be held at the American Center in Moscow in June or July 2020 and will provide a three-week intensive hands on journalism summer school for young Russian journalists age 20-30 with sessions presented by U.S. journalism educators on a wide variety of topics, including ethics, developing sources, fact-checking, and other tenets of western journalism that are often lacking in the Russian media.
This summer school will also include meetings with journalists from western and Russian news outlets and an overview of the resources available to Russian journalists as they develop their reporting.
The grant recipient will work closely with Public Affairs and Cultural Affairs at Mission Russia to select and identify participants and craft a program. The grantee through this grant will support the travel and logistics for winning individuals (if outside of Moscow) to participate in summer school.
The goal of the project is to introduce young Russian journalists to tenets of western journalism and equip them with the critical thinking skills and the tools needed to evaluate the vast amount of information in the media.
The FY 2019 Journalism Summer School Program seeks to:
- Introduce Russian journalists to tenets of western media outlets through meetings with U.S. journalists;
- Provide young journalists with strategies and best practices for dealing with the new world of information;
- Help young Russian journalists develop their skills and become proficient in multiple verification methods.
Priority Region: Russian Federation
- Award amounts: up to $150,000
- Total available funding: $150,000
- Length of performance period: up to 12 months
The following organizations are eligible to apply:
- U.S. Not-for-profit organizations, including think tanks and civil society/nongovernmental organizations
- U.S. Public and private educational institutions
Cost Sharing or Matching
Cost share is not required but recommended. Cost-share included in the proposal will be used to break ties among applications with equivalent scores after evaluation against all other factors.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted electronically via email at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=317599