Deadline: 30 August 2019
The Bureau of Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs’ (OES) Office of Science and Technology Cooperation at the Department of State has announced the Notice of Funding Opportunity (“NOFO”) for Global Innovation through Science and Technology (GIST) initiative that focuses on the Indo-Pacific region in support of the United States Indo-Pacific Strategy.
GIST is a program that highlights American leadership in innovation, promotes S&T innovation and entrepreneurship among young innovators in low and middle income countries through networking, skills building, mentoring, and access to financing, and connects foreign entrepreneurs to American businesses in support of U.S. economic and security priorities.
- GIST strengthens the capacity of young science and technology innovators and entrepreneurs in low and middle income countries and the innovation ecosystems in which they operate. This program will focus on the Indo-Pacific region and build entrepreneurial and innovation capacity within the region. Specifically, GIST:
- Identifies and recruits the most talented young S&T entrepreneurs in GIST eligible countries and territories.
- Connects American businesses and experts with global innovators.
- Catalyzes participants’ success and boosts the confidence of participants through training, networking, and program structure.
- Promotes GIST participants’ innovations and stories to the public as role models for entrepreneurship and youth.
- Reinforces the role of American and scientific values, including integrity, ethics, merit-based competition, transparency, and scientific rigor.
- Engages participants, mentors, prominent U.S. entrepreneurs, and others to support GIST, to educate entrepreneurs, and to become and remain part of the broader GIST Network community.
- Ensures women and other underrepresented groups are well represented (experts, judges, participants, and mentors).
- Assembles participant/event information and updates to support the identification of gaps and the monitoring and evaluation of the ecosystem.
- Delivers activities that address skill and resource gaps in priority entrepreneurial ecosystems.
- The OES-led Global Innovation through Science and Technology (GIST) initiative catalyzes science, technology, and innovation (STI) activities that support the Administration’s economic and national security goals, including by connecting American businesses with premier foreign entrepreneurs in priority emerging markets, helping to build more stable economies, and strengthening American business and investment ties to foreign markets.
To achieve the goals and expected results, the proposal must address all three program activities listed below, with a focus on countries in the Indo-Pacific region:
- In-Country Training Activities and Pitch Competitions
- Interactive Online Activities
- Strengthening Early Stage Investment Networks
- Award Ceiling: $1,000,000
- Award Floor: $1,000,000
Eligibility is limited to U.S. non-profit/nongovernmental organizations subject to section 501 (c) (3) of the U.S. tax code and U.S. educational institutions. Foreign organizations or Public International Organizations will NOT be considered for this competition.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online via given website.
For more information, please visit https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=319632