Deadline: 7 November 2016
Rothamsted International (RI) is currently inviting applications for its Fellowship Scheme with an aim to support the exchange of skills and technologies between scientists from developing countries and Rothamsted Research. It is expected that RI Fellowships will benefit agricultural and environmental sustainability, thereby improving food quality and production in developing countries.
The Rothamsted International Fellowship Scheme (RIFS) supports scientists from developing countries to train at Rothamsted Research for 6-12 months on a research project they develop jointly with a Project Leader at Rothamsted.
Fellowship proposals must be in agricultural, biological, environmental, mathematical or computational sciences, and must be aligned with Rothamsted’s Research Strategy.
- promote the exchange of vital scientific research skills to help agricultural and environmental needs in developing countries;
- assist in individual and institutional capacity-building;
- foster long-term partnerships between overseas research organizations and Rothamsted Research.
Length of Tenure
Fellowships must be between six to twelve months in duration. Cases can be made for split awards where returning to the home institution is integral to the research; the scientific value will be assessed against the additional travel costs.
The fellowship provides funding for:
- an accommodation and subsistence allowance of £1,250 per month;
- one return journey between the home country and Rothamsted;
- Institute research costs, up to a maximum of £5,000 per annum.
- Be of doctoral status, with at least two years post-doctoral experience. Candidates without Higher Degrees must have equivalent research experience to be considered eligible for the scheme. Applications will not be considered where the main objective of the visit is research leading to a higher degree for the Candidate.
- The Candidate must be a citizen of a developing country, or have been based exclusively within a developing country.
- It is essential that the Candidate returns to employment in their home country where the work conducted in the fellowship can be applied. Candidates who have extensive and/or continuous employment in a developed country are not likely to be awarded an RI Fellowship. If the Candidate has previously travelled overseas to carry out research, there must be evidence that the skills gained have been applied in their home country.
- The Candidate should know their Rothamsted Project Leader (either directly or indirectly), or have been highly recommended.
How to Apply
The completed application must be submitted as a Word document at the address given on the website.
Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti , Kiribati, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Kenya, Tajikistan, Zimbabwe, Armenia, Bolivia, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Egypt, El Salvador, Georgia, Ghana, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Philippines, Samoa, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tokelau, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Viet Nam, West Bank and Gaza Strip, Albania, Algeria, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belize, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Chile, China (People’s Republic of), Colombia, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Fiji, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Gabon, Grenada, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Montenegro, Montserrat, Namibia, Nauru, Niue, Palau, Panama, Peru, Saint Helena, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Serbia, Seychelles, South Africa, Suriname, Thailand, Tonga, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uruguay, Venezuela, Wallis and Futuna
For more information, please visit Rothamsted International Fellowship Scheme.