Deadline: 27 April 2020
The Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung – Office Skopje calls on research institutions to express their interest in becoming research partners in this endeavor.
The Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) is taking the initiative to carry out a national empirical study on women in North Macedonia in order to gain analytical insights into the women’s perceptions, experience expectations and approaches towards changing realities. The study will determine challenges and urgent tasks women are facing within their societies.
The study will aim at identifying the needs, attitudes and perceptions of women towards becoming agents of change. It is supposed to encourage public debates and provide an in-depth analysis of the conditions women are facing in the country, their behavior, attitudes and aspirations.
Specifically, FES is interested in
- The contribution of women to the democratic development of the society
- Potential contributions and recommendations for developing women and social policies within the country, related to the topics of education, employment, family and equal opportunity, anti-discrimination, politics, security and migration.
The study will be based on a mix of quantitative and qualitative research methods and on primary as well as secondary data. Specifically, the following data gathering techniques will be used:
- A national representative survey based on a questionnaire
- At least ten interviews with women from different social backgrounds, selected by the researchers, to obtain a qualitative insight into the subject matter of the study
- Use of secondary sources.
The surveys will be conducted by polling agencies that have been contracted separately. The survey questionnaire will cover the following themes:
- Values, religion and trust;
- Family and social life;
- Education and Employment;
- Politics and Participation
- Personality and health issues;
- Security and Safety
- Additional theme (optional, country specific)
The FES Office Skopje will develop the questionnaire together with the selected research institution / authors.
- Review previous women’s studies.
- Review relevant literature and secondary sources and integrate/use it in the report.
- Produce questionnaire in English.
- Conduct field survey.
- Create clean database with collected data.
- As the analytical basis, use data provided in the national survey. It is expected that the authors are well-versed in statistical analysis.
- Conduct a minimum of ten additional semi-structured interviews with women from different social backgrounds, selected by the researchers.
- Produce a first draft.
- Modify and upgrade the country study in line with editorial feedback received by the FES.
- Editorial feedback will primarily focus on the structure, coherence and depth of analysis and writing.
- Documented experience in qualitative and quantitative research
- Documented expertise in research studies
- Good knowledge about democratization, civil society, European Integration and the region of Southeast Europe.
- Statistical analysis skills.
- The application should contain the following:
- A proposal discussing your research interest in relation to the research objectives (section 2 of these ToR), the national context. This proposal should reference relevant literature and not exceed 5 pages.
- A list of references with full contacts;
- If applicable, background information on the institution, maximum 1 page;
- CV of the responsible person and researchers from the team
- Budget proposal
For more information, visit https://www.fes-skopje.org/e/calls-on-research-institutions-and-ngos/