Applications are now open for the Direct Aid Program (DAP), a part of the Australian Government’s overall social development assistance programme.
The DAP is created with the purpose of providing assistance in the form of financing directly to communities for activities aimed at sustainable development.
The DAP is a flexible small grant program that supports projects with a strong development focus. DAP projects must primarily promote practical and tangible results, generating a direct and immediate impact, and must make their achievements visible.
- Financing amounts per project will be AUD$5,000.00 up to a maximum of AUD$20,000.00 (twenty thousand Australian dollars). The Evaluation Committee may determine if there is any project that, due to extraordinary reasons, may receive a higher amount.
What type of projects can be financed?
The DAP committee will give favorable consideration to projects that adhere to the areas of interest specified below:
- Projects must be presented to the Australian Embassy in Mexico by Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), cooperatives, Civil Associations, academic and research institutions committed to the development of Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and the Dominican Republic, and that are duly constituted as such in accordance with the laws of the corresponding country. It is important to mention that under the DAP guidelines it is not possible to grant financing to individuals or governments.
- Projects can have a more specific focus as long as the primary focus is one of the previously mentioned sectors. For example, a project covering gender equality could focus on direct humanitarian aid, gender-based violence, education or capacity building, LGBTIQ rights, or disappearances, among others.
- All projects must have a strong and clear gender focus.
- Projects must promote self-sufficiency and economic development of the benefited communities. Proposals will be evaluated based on their particular merits and their adherence to the general objectives of the DAP. The DAP committee will give favorable consideration to projects that adhere to the specified areas of interest. Normally, projects must be carried out and concluded within a period of no more than one year after the delivery of the approved funds.
For more information, visit Australian Embassy in Mexico.