Deadline: 31 August 2016
United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is seeking applicants its Young Peacebuilders in West Africa Programme with an aim to support the growth of networks of young peacebuilders who are equipped with the tools to address stereotypes, prejudice and polarization in order to build more inclusive and peaceful societies in their communities and globally.
Participants will interact online through a series of facilitated modules and in-person during a one-week workshop in Abuja, Nigeria in November.
All selected youth participants will be provided:
- Round-trip travel (international or domestic flight, economy class) to Abuja, Nigeria;
- Accommodation in Abuja from November 20-26, in shared accommodation (double-rooms), with a participant from the same gender;
- Meals and coffee breaks during the official duration of the workshops in Abuja (November 20-26);
- Shuttles or reimbursement of transportation to/from the airport and hotel in Abuja.
All requirements must be met in order to be considered eligible:
- Age: Be 18-25 years of age at the time of applying for the programme and for its total duration (October-December 2016). To be considered eligible, applicants must be born on or between January 1, 1991 and August 15, 1998. No exceptions will be made.
- Region: Be a citizen of one of the following West African countries and reside in West Africa(mentioned below).
- Organization: Be active (staff, volunteer, etc.) in a non-government and non-for-profit youth-led organization, network, initiative or movement (led by youth for the benefit of youth) and have the ability to consult with and reach a wider group of young people, audience or network, including at the grassroots and community level.
- Commitment: demonstrate commitment to diversity and pluralism, nonviolence, peaceful and inclusive societies. The organizations and networks represented should: Adhere to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the principles and values of the Charter of the United Nations; have internal democratic and transparent processes of leadership, decision-making and consultation; be independent, unaffiliated with any political party.
- Language: Command of English is sufficient to take part in the online phase and in-person workshop. The applicant understands English very well; possesses intermediate to fluent levels of English, which allow her/him to participate to the conversation and input.
- Prior experience: the applicant has never taken part in a programme of UNAOC (Summer School, Youth Solidarity Fund, Intercultural Innovation Award, Plural+, PeaceApp, Youth Event at the UNAOC Global Forum, Fellowship Program)
- Passport: In order to be accepted in this programme, selected applicants must hold an international passport valid until at least June 1, 2017. Failure to provide a copy in due time will result in cancellation of participation.
- The application is duly completed, submitted by the deadline and contains all supporting documentation, requested as part of the call. Half-complete applications or applications filled in other languages than English will not be reviewed and considered.
How to Apply
Applicants must apply online via given website.
For more information, please visit Young Peacebuilders in West Africa.