Applications are now open for the BayWa Smart Farming Challenge; it is looking for innovative solutions that use new technologies, ideas, and products to support sustainable agriculture and horticulture.
As the global population continues to grow every year, so too does the demand for agricultural products. To continue feeding the world without damaging the environment is one of the greatest challenges faced by society, and can only be achieved by increasing the efficiency and sustainability of agricultural production. BayWa invites submissions that look to tackle this challenge by combining satellite data with other data sources in an innovative and commercially viable way.
BayWa is a group with worldwide operations in the core competencies of trading, logistics and supplementary services in its three operating segments Agriculture, Energy and Building Materials and the Innovation & Digitalization development segment. Digital Farming is geared towards the development and marketing of digital solutions for agriculture. Such solutions are opening up entirely new opportunities for the agricultural sector. As a shareholder of Vista GmbH, BayWa offers attractive satellite and model-based solutions for agricultural purposes. Together with the subsidiary FarmFacts and its high degree of acceptance and experience as a systems service provider, BayWa can already offer a wide range of innovative services today.
The head office of the parent company, which was founded in 1923, is located in Munich. Its international activities focus on Europe as well as on the US and New Zealand.
BayWa is particularly interested in new ideas that combine satellite data and artificial intelligence/ machine learning. Furthermore, BayWa is looking for new ideas that support the following application fields:
- Pasture Management
- Early Crop Disease Identification in Agriculture and Horticulture
- Yield Prediction in Horticulture
Do you have a Smart Farming idea that doesn’t fit the above? BayWa encourages you to enter it as well!
- Cash Prize: EUR 5,000
- Mentoring: Mentoring package from BayWa, FarmFacts and Vista, including support with scientific and commercial expertise, developing a go-to-market strategy, and identifying sales channels
- BayWa sales platforms: Access to BayWa sales platforms and customers through NEXT Farming
- Access to Networks: Access to BayWa agri-business and agri-organsation networks
- Field trials: Access to field trails in multiple countries (if eligible)
- Satellite data: Possibility to access EUR 10,000 worth of commercial datasets from the Copernicus Contributing Missions in the Copernicus Data Warehouse (financial support by EC)
- Extra EUR 10,000 Cash Prize if your concept gets selected as Copernicus Masters 2020 Overall Winner
Submissions to the BayWa Smart Farming Challenge will be evaluated against the following criteria:
- Innovation: Does the solution demonstrate a new/novel approach to Smart Farming?
- Earth observation: Does the solution use Earth observation data to bring added-value to end-users?
- Technical Feasibility: Can the technical element of the solution be used in a commercial context?
- Commercial Viability: Does the solution have real market potential?
For more information, visit https://copernicus-masters.com/challenges/baywa-challenge/#