FONTAGRO is delighted to announces the Fourth Contest of successful cases of innovations in Bioeconomy to identify and document successful experiences and lessons learned that contribute to a better understanding of how, through the process of innovation in the bioeconomy, the strengthening and transformation of agri-food systems in Latin America and the Caribbean.
This contest has funds provided by FONTAGRO and IICA , and could be complemented with additional resources from other agencies related to FONTAGRO’s mission.
The following categories will be awarded:
- Producer associations and other private sector organizations, including NGOs, that work with LAC producers. Included in this category are producer associations, cooperatives, family producers, as well as private companies that, through their innovations, promote the development of the bioeconomy.
- Institutions and organisms of Science and Technology of LAC. This category includes public or private research, development and innovation (R+D+i) institutions that, through their advances, promote the development of the bioeconomy.
- Public sector (at all levels) in LAC . Included in this category are all state levels that through different initiatives (laws, ordinances, promotion regimes, etc.) that promote the development of the bioeconomy.
- Special prizes will be awarded, one for each eligible category. The prize includes:
- US$15,000 to strengthen the institutional capacity of the winning organizations.
- One trip to the award event venue for the presentation of the case (includes accommodation, round-trip economy class travel, and a small stipend for one person)
- Profiles can be submitted by:
- Producer organizations and/or private companies that work together with small farmers that operate in any IDB borrowing country, in Latin America, the Caribbean and/or Spain.
- Any public or private research and/or development institution or organization such as universities, agricultural research centers, NGOs, etc. that operates in any IDB borrowing country, in Latin America, the Caribbean and/or Spain and that has developed experiences in those countries, regardless of the source of financing.
- Public sector of any IDB borrowing country in Latin America and the Caribbean and/or Spain that has developed experiences in those countries.
Technical Criteria for the evaluation of Profiles
The case profiles will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Regionality: The initiative must have been implemented in at least one LAC country and/or Spain.
- Temporality: The initiative must have been executed in the last 15 years, and jointly implemented in a minimum period of three years.
- Identification of the beneficiaries: Innovation must involve directly to farmers as beneficiaries.
- Value chain approach: Innovation must be related to any aspect of the agri-food chain: production, post-harvest, industrialization, marketing, consumption, where added value is demonstrated.
- Identification of benefits: The innovation must clearly indicate the benefits achieved in productive, economic, social, and especially environmental aspects, which demonstrates a reduction in gas emission
For more information, visit FONTAGRO.