Deadline: 11 May 2020
The principal objective of the project is to strengthen the skills of heritage and tourism professionals, to create conditions for sustainable heritage tourism. Civil society organizations (CSOs) and local communities have a recognized role in the promotion, protection and preservation of culture and heritage in society today and this goes all the way to a national, sub-regional and local level.
The Embassy of France to Ghana, through the second component of the Sankofa project, aims to encourage the strengthening of civil societies and communities amongst other actors in Ghana towards the better preservation, promotion and rehabilitation on culture and heritage. To this end, the Embassy encourages the submission of proposals on awareness raising, capacity building and actions by CSOs in Ghana from the communities living close to heritage sites in order to support the development of competence in the field of heritage protection and tourism. Multi-action projects will be preferred to one-off projects.
In this light, the French Embassy in Ghana is seeking high quality project proposals that seek to preserve, promote, advocate and educate on culture and heritage in the following three areas:
- PROTECTING CULTURAL AND NATURAL SITES such as, but not limited to, historic buildings, archaeological sites, already protected under international conventions (UNESCO) or not protected, or Ghana national parks;
- PROMOTING AND DEVELOPING RESPONSIBLE TOURISM in places of particular interest (with strong touristic potential, archaeological, cultural and scientific interest, etc.)
- BUILDING LOCAL COMMUNITIES CAPACITIES to deal with the interest of these tangible/intangible heritage sites (promotion, training, education, economical exploitation, etc.)
What actions are eligible?
- Advocating and implementing educational activities in favour of heritage preservation.
- Capacity building of citizens and locals near cultural, touristic, natural and or historical resources.
- Empowering citizens to participate in the local protection of cultural and heritage sites.
- Enhancing the active roles of local communities towards their participation in tourism and towards sustainable tourism development.
- Encouraging the expression, dialoguing and knowledge sharing towards the promotion and preservation of heritage.
- Each successful project will be supported with a grant ranging from € 5 000 to € 7 000 for a duration of 7 months for project implementation.
- Selected projects have to be implemented in 2020.
- Any Civil Society Organization (CSO) legally registered to operate in Ghana can apply.
- Conditions for CSOs:
- CSO’s that are legally registered and recognized in Ghana;
- CSO’s that are affiliated to known coalitions and networks
- CSO’s with offices in the regions, and especially in the districts where they plan to implement the project. Credible national CSO’s may also collaborate with local CSO’s located within their preferred project districts to apply for a Project.
For more information, visit https://www.wacsi.org/news/news_detail.php?id=84