Art & Education is happy to announce the six new mentors and the call for project ideas for Forecast 8.
Artistic practitioners and cultural producers working in all creative fields, anywhere in the world, are encouraged to apply to Forecast’s international mentorship program with projects that could benefit from the expertise of one of this edition’s mentors and their unique approach to material and knowledge production.
The mentors in Forecast’s 2023–24 edition engage with practices that highlight the autonomy of creative endeavors, and emphasize the significance of independent art-making in today’s deeply politicized climate of cultural production and its reception.
- If a mentor selects your proposal and you participate as a nominee at the Forecast Forum in July 2023, you will receive a fee of 2,000 euros, which includes the production cost of your presentation.
- Travel and accommodation for participants at the Forecast Forum in Berlin is granted by Forecast/Skills e.V. Please note that if you apply as a duo or collective, Forecast will cover travel and accommodation for only one member.
- If your proposal is subsequently chosen as one of the six mentee projects to be showcased at the Forecast Festival in March 2024, you will receive an artist fee of 6,000 euros and a production budget for realizing your project, up to 8,000 euros. The production budget will be made available in installments based on the stages of the project’s development and its budgetary requirements. It is imperative that you submit a preliminary production and budget plan to convey the project’s scale and set milestones for its realization.
- Should your proposal necessitate additional funds, Forecast will provide support in applying to further collaborations and/or funding. They encourage that you initiate additional fundraising and see it as an important part of structuring your creative work.
- The particulars of the participation in the Forecast Forum and/or Festival will be set forth in separate contracts.
- Anyone from anywhere who is working creatively in a field that they consider connected with one of the mentors in this year’s edition, or in related practices. They recommend looking at the mentors’ statements and familiarizing yourself with their work before deciding whether to apply, and with what project. After all, you and the mentor would work together for several months if you’re selected, so you should have an idea of what they would be able to provide in their mentorship role.
Conditions of Participation
- Forecast will consider submitted materials only on the condition that the selected nominee irrevocably agrees that:
- Their portrait, name, and short bio may be published on Forecast‘s website, as provided in the online application form.
- They hold the sole copyright to and/or have secured the consent of any other copyright owner on any given text, excerpt, or portfolio image submitted, in accordance with all applicable national and international regulations. They guarantee that the rights of no third parties would be violated in the (re-)publication of any submitted text or portfolio material. The nominee unconditionally and irrevocably declares their copyright responsibility and liability toward third parties for any and all possible disputes over copyright violations and fully indemnify Forecast/Skills e.V. against all third party claims arising thereof.
- In submitting your application in any form, you grant consent to and license Skills e. V. as the legal entity of Forecast to use your name, text, artwork, or design, and representations of your text, artwork, or design in any media related to Forecast, anywhere in the world, without compensation or credit, for artistic, promotional, and documentary purposes.
- Nominees will be selected at the sole discretion of Forecast. Applicants selected for participation in the Forecast Forum will be informed by email on or before May 9, 2023.
- Physical participation in the Forecast Forum for its entire duration is obligatory. The Forum takes place from July 10–17, 2023. Should a nominee for whatever reason not be able to be physically present at the Forum in Berlin for its entire duration, Forecast reserves the right to revoke their invitation, and to designate a runner-up instead.
- Each applicant may submit only one project.
- Collectives, duos, and any other practices consisting of more than one person may apply with one proposal. In case a group is admitted as one nominee, or later on as a mentee, Forecast does not guarantee to grant travel costs to more than one person, and the overall budget for the intended project will not be higher than that for projects submitted by a single person.
- The mentors’ selection decisions are final. Any recourse to courts of law is excluded.
For more information, visit Art & Education.