Water Science Policy, with support from UNESCO, is running a photostory competition on the theme of ‘Water, Partnerships, and Cooperation’, and you are invited to take part.
The UN 2023 Water Conference in New York, 22-24 March 2023, is a crucial occasion to take stock of the water situation, jointly reflect and devise meaningful and innovative approaches, and thereby laying out an action agenda to tackle the water crises and help achieve SDG 6. It is clear that meaningful progress to attain SDG 6 can only be made if everyone comes together. Partnership and Cooperation is not just the theme, it is also a demand for the world, countries, organisations, and individuals to come together and join hands, ideas and efforts so that everyone can enjoy access to clean, safe and affordable water.
Building on UNESCO’s cross-disciplinary mandate on culture, education and natural sciences, Water Science Policy, under the patronage of UNESCO’s World Water Assessment Program, is facilitating this photostory competition. It is intended to:
- Raise awareness on the intertwined relationship between water and the various dimensions of culture, from heritage to arts and creativity, in the past and present;
- Demonstrate how culture could effectively support the sustainable use and management of water;
- Inform on policy-making relating to water use and management, especially using the cross-cutting perspectives of relevant stakeholders, including artists, cultural practitioners and civil society organisations, and contribute to joint actions in the international water agenda.
- The three winners will be officially announced on 10th February 2023 and receive a financial prize. The top 15 winning pieces will be exhibited at the UN 2023 Water Conference in New York, March 2023, a prestigious event which will shape the way they manage water over the next decade. All submissions will be considered for inclusion in a photo book and for publication via Water Science Policy’s website. Anyone published receives a free photo book.
- 1st place: 400€ + published via WSPs website + featured in photo-book + free photo-book copy + displayed in New York during UN 2023 Water Conference
- 2nd place: 200€ + published via WSPs website + featured in photo-book + free photo-book copy + displayed in New York during UN 2023 Water Conference
- 3rd place: 100€ + published via WSPs website + featured in photo-book + free photo-book copy + displayed in New York during UN 2023 Water Conference
- 12 merits: published via WSPs website + featured in photo-book + free photo-book copy + displayed in New York during UN 2023 Water Conference.
Submission Details & Rules
- 5-10 photographs which tell a story of ‘water, partnerships and cooperation’.
- Each photo should be numbered and have a short caption.
- Photos should be in .jpg or .png with a resolution of at least 1920×1080.
- Each entrant can submit up to three (3) photostories. Each story will be judged individually.
- By entering the Competition You hereby accept these Submission Rules and the Terms and Conditions.
- The competition is free to enter and entrants must be older than 18 years.
- Entries must be original and your own work.
- Entries will be judged by a panel of judges. Scoring will be fair as contestants will be given codes and their names will not be visible to the judges. Judges are looking for good technique, subject, story and clear photographs.
- The decision of the judges, UNESCO and WSP is final and no negotiation will be entered into with respect to any such decision.
- Winners will be announced online.
- The overall winner of the Photo contest will be notified by email. If UNESCO or Water Science Policy do not hear from the entrant by the date specified in any correspondence and is therefore not able to ratify the entry, that entrant will be disqualified and replaced by another photographer.
For more information, visit Water Science Policy.