Deadline: 1 June 2020
The Africa Food Prize is the preeminent award recognizing an outstanding individual or institution that is leading the effort to change the reality of farming in Africa—from a struggle to survive to a business that thrives.
The Africa Food Prize 2020 will be awarded during the African Green Revolution Forum, scheduled for September, 2020.
- The Africa Food Prize recognizes extraordinary women, men, and institutions whose outstanding contributions to African agriculture are forging a new era of sustainable food security and economic opportunity that elevates all Africans.
- Building on the values and principles established by the Yara Prize, the Africa Food Prize puts a bright spotlight on achievements and innovations that can be replicated across the continent to eliminate hunger and poverty and provide a vital new source of employment and income.
- The USD 100,000 prize celebrates Africans who are taking control of Africa’s agriculture agenda and changing the reality of farming in Africa from a struggle to survive to a business that thrives. It puts a bright spotlight on bold initiatives and technical innovations that can be replicated across the continent.
- The Prize can be awarded to more than one winner, but not more than two. If shared, each winner will receive equal prize money (USD 100 000 divided in two), a diploma and a trophy.
- The Africa Food Prize can be awarded to any individual or identifiable group of individuals, as well as to established institutions, associations, organizations or government bodies with a formal and recognized judicial and organizational structure contributing to the overall objectives of the Prize.
- The Prize can be awarded to any qualified candidate, irrespective of nationality, profession or location, whose work, and contributions deriving from the work, has had a clear impact on the African situation, nationally, regionally or for the continent.
- The Prize can be awarded with reference to a specific contribution or achievement, or a series of efforts and results in the recent past, preferably within the last few years.
- Current or recent members of the Africa Food Prize Committee, or an institution/ organization headed by such a member, are ineligible for the Prize. The Prize cannot be awarded to a person already deceased, but will be presented in the event a Prize winner dies before receiving the Prize.
The Prize Committee considers the following criteria for the Prize:
- Contribution to reducing poverty and hunger and/or improving food and nutrition security in measurable terms.
- Contribution to providing a vital source of income and/ or employment in measurable terms.
- Potential for transformative change through scalability, replication, and sustainability.
- Increased awareness and cooperation among African audiences and organizations.
- Proven leadership potential of the individual or organization, specifically the ability of the to persevere despite significant challenges or risks.
How to Apply
- To be eligible for the Prize, a nomination must be submitted in writing in either English or French.
- Nominations should be submitted via given website.
For more information, visit https://africafoodprize.org/