One Young World has launched the Lead2030 Challenge for SDG15 with an aim to protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems to benefit, now and in future, from this natural ecosystem-service.
By scaling up research and development, technological innovation, investing in natural infrastructure and implementing responsible sourcing policies, companies play an integral part in preserving and restoring vital ecosystems, promoting the sustainable use of land, water and forests, while retaining consumer confidence in their product offerings.
At Novartis, they aim to drive sustainability through their own operations, as well as those of their suppliers, and they have set ambitious targets to minimize our impacts on climate, waste and water. They have already made significant progress and their ambition is to be a catalyst for positive change and a leader in environmental sustainability.
Novartis looks forward to supporting SDG 15 by funding a project, which utilises data/digital/novel technologies in order to generate positive action, protect, restore and sustainably use the services provided by natural land ecosystem. The project should address at least one of the following:
- Freshwater recycling capacity;
- Restoring biodiversity of the ecosystem;
This Lead2030 Challenge is specifically focussed on SDG 15 targets:
- 15.1: By 2030, combat desertification, restore degraded land and soil, including land affected by desertification, drought and floods, and strive to achieve a land degradation-neutral world.
- 15.2: Promote the implementation of sustainable management of all types of forests, halt deforestation, restore degraded forests and substantially increase afforestation and reforestation.
- 15.3: By 2030, ensure the conservation, restoration and sustainable use of terrestrial and inland freshwater ecosystems and their services, in particular forests, wetlands, mountains and drylands, in line with obligations under international agreements
- A US$50,000 grant from Novartis;
- 12 months of mentorship from a team of Novartis professionals. The mentorship team will work to accelerate your solution based on the needs of your initiative or organisation, such as:
- Business strategy;
- Best practices for data collection;
- Monitoring and evaluation;
- Product design.
- Aligned: Evidently aligned with the SDG 15 challenge.
- Youth-led: Founded by a person aged 18 – 30.
- Focused: Well-structured time horizon, identified key stakeholders and beneficiaries, and proposed outcomes that are reasonable and well thought out.
- Proven: Readily available, in or past implementation phase.
- Impactful: Solutions must have a positive social impact, for example generating employment, or developing skills.
- Measurable: Impacts of solutions must have been adequately measured and/or be measurable.
- Financially viable: Must be able to achieve efficiency and to survive independently through the resources they generate and/or the investments and donations they attract.
- Scalable: Potential to perform as well or better after expanding in scope or size and/or being transported to other regions.
In addition to answering questions about yourself and your organisation, the application form will also ask you to:
- Provide a link to a video personal statement;
- Upload a copy of your buisness/organisation plan;
- Upload proof of your organisation’s business/charity registration.
Please note that it’s not possible to save your progess on this application form. Because of this, they recommend that you first read through the form to get an understanding of the questions and then prepare your responses in an offline document.
For more information, visit https://www.oneyoungworld.com/lead2030/challenge-sdg15