Deadline: 26 May 2017
Applications are open for “The Young Peace-builders for Climate Action (YPCA)” program with an aim to strengthen the role of young people in promoting sustainable environmental development in peace-building and governance processes, enhance awareness and develop the potentials of young peace advocates as future leaders in community-based disaster risk reduction and management, climate change adaptation, and conflict prevention.
- Promote environmental peace-building as a substantial component for community-based disaster risk reduction and management for conflict-affected communities in Southeast Asia.
- Provide participants with practical knowledge, skills and materials on the “threat multiplier” effects and the complex and dynamic interrelationship between armed conflicts and natural disasters in the context of the Southeast Asia.
- Gain insights from the experiences of Philippine civil society organizations, local government agencies, and local communities that are actively engaged in disaster preparedness and peace-building activities.
- Develop the digital and technical skills of the participants using online tools to communicate issues related to disasters and climate change, as well as existing efforts from different stakeholders to prevent and mitigate them.
- Raise the awareness of the fellows on the important role of public policies and governance processes in climate change adaptation, disaster risk reduction and peace-building.
- Create a network of emerging peace-builders in Southeast Asia who will conceptualize and mainstream innovative community-based disaster management projects for conflict-affected communities in partnership with different stakeholders, including the governments, schools, business groups, and media, among others.
- Facilitate actions and exchange of best practices at the local, national and regional levels that fellows can use in sustaining disaster management and peace-building efforts in their respective home communities.
The Young Peacebuilders for Climate Action is seeking thirty (30) youth leaders from conflict-affected and/or disaster-prone communities across the Southeast Asia. All applicants for the accelerator program must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 25 at the time of the program;
- Be able to demonstrate their commitment to peace-building, environmental protection, disaster management and/or social entrepreneurship;
- Be currently a full-time undergraduate or graduate student; recent graduate of college, university, or other institutions of higher learning; or young professional who has recently joined the workforce;
- Be a resident of conflict-affected and/or disaster-prone areas in Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online via given website.
For more information, please visit this link.