Deadline: 10 April 2017
Recognizing May 17 as the International Day Against Homophobia,Transphobia and Biphobia (IDAHOT), the Youth Coalition for Sexual and Reproductive Rights is currently inviting young people for its 2017 IDAHOT Watchdog to speak up for LGBTQI rights and celebrate supportive and diverse families.
The International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia is celebrated annually on May 17.
The 2017 IDAHOT global focus theme is FAMILIES. This theme calls attention to the various role of families in the well-being of their LGBTQI members and the respect of the rights of LGBTQI families (rainbow families).
Focus issue on families will:
- Strengthen the visibility and voice of LGBTQI parents
- Strengthen the visibility and voice of Rainbow families and lead to advances in recognition and rights
- Strengthen the visibility and voice of children of LGBTQI parents, and possibly strengthen the structuring of this new movement
- Reclaim a progressive understanding of “family values”
- Facilitate alliances with progressive family organisations
- Share best practices for parenting and supporting LBGTQI children
- Enhance discussions of security and mutual understanding within the family
- The notion of ‘family values’ is often invoked by anti-LGBTQI factions. How can we reclaim and redefine ‘family values’ to be LGBTQI-friendly?
- What are the main issues or barriers for LGBTQI families that require urgent change in your country and community? (e.g. political, cultural, religious barriers)
- How do anti-LGBTQI policies endanger the children of LGBTQI parents?
- How can families best support LGBTQI children/ What does gender neutral and/or trans-friendly parenting look like?
- What are your experiences of rejection/discrimination or acceptance/support growing up as an LGBTQI person within your family?
- What are your experiences growing up with LGBTQI parents?
- What does your ideal future look like for LGBTQI families in your country and community?
- The Youth Coalition for Sexual and Reproductive Rights (YCSRR) is calling on all young people under 30 years old to submit original artwork (posters, infographics, pictures, postcards, videos, etc) and original writing (articles, stories, poetry) on the theme “Rainbow Families” for the 2017 Watchdog IDAHOT publication.
- Selected artistic submissions will also be featured on the YCSRR website and used during the YCSRR social media campaign during IDAHOT.
- While YCSRR strongly encourage participants to submit work on the theme of Rainbow Families (subtopics listed above), any work about the experiences of young LGBTQI people is welcome.
How to Apply
Applicants can send their submissions at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit 2017 IDAHOT Watchdog.