The AkiraChix is accepting applications for its codeHive Program to provide education and economic opportunity to young women between 18 and 24 years from underserved communities who have completed high school education but are unable to further their education due to financial constraints.
AkiraChix is a not for profit that offers young women hands-on, on-demand technical training and leadership development to positively impact their lives and communities and close the gender gap in the technology field.
What is the codeHive program?
- codeHive is the AkiraChix signature program.
- It is a 1-year full scholarship and residency at AkiraChix Campus in Nairobi, Kenya
- They recruit highly motivated young women from across East africa’s underserved communities
- They offer market-ready technology, life skills and leadership training
- Students go on a three-month internship
- Students attend and network at East Africa’s leading technology conferences and workshops globally
- Students produce market-ready prototype solutions to graduate
- All young women admitted to the codeHive program receive full financial assistance of US $ 5,000 per student. This cost covers:
- One year tuition fee, accommodation, extracurricular activities, meals, transport during school activities and personal amenities.
- Access to technology hubs and maker spaces in Nairobi for tech events and prototyping respectively
- Access to leadership development through projects and self directed growth.
- Access to codeHiveX: an exclusive alumni community.
- Is there an age limit to who can apply?
- Yes, you need to be between the ages of 18 and 24 years in January 2023
- Applicants must have:
- Completed High School no later than March 2020
- Possess a High School result slip/ transcript/ Photo of your results sent via SMS
- Be a young woman aged 18-24 years on January 2023
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Be a citizen of Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, or come from the refugee communities in Kenya
- Have either a National ID, Alien ID or Refugee certificate of your respective country of origin
- Interested in being a changemaker in your community
- Available full-time to live and learn in the AkiraChix Campus from January 28th to December 1, 2023
- Be involved in leadership activities in your community i.e at school, church/mosque/ temple etc
For more information, visit https://akirachix.com/