The Global Innovation Fund (GIF) is collaboration between Department of International Development (DFID), the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the Omidyar Network, the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) and Department for Foreign Affairs and Trade in Australia (DFAT).
The Fund provides grants, loans and equity of between £30,000 to £10m for social innovations to transform the lives and opportunities of people living in poverty.
Through its grants and risk capitals, the fund supports breakthrough solutions to global development challenges from social enterprises, for-profit firms, non-profit organisations, researchers, and government agencies.
GIF provides grants in three funding stages:
- Pilot: At the Pilot stage, GIF provides seed capital to support the start up and field-testing of innovations.
- Test: At the Test & Transition stage, GIF funds innovations that have already demonstrated success at a small scale.
- Scale: At the Scaling Up stage, GIF supports the expansion of innovations that have already demonstrated a strong track record of social impact and effectiveness.
- Climate change
- Empowerment and accountability
- Girls and women
- Humanitarian emergencies/disasters
- Peace and access to justice
- Private sector/business
- Water and sanitation
Focus Countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Burma, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Ghana, India, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Nepal, Nigeria, The Occupied Palestinian Territories, Pakistan, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, South Sudan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Uganda, Yemen, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
For more information, please visit https://www.gov.uk/international-development-funding/global-innovation-fund.