Deadline: 1 December 2016
Applications are open for Women Techmakers Scholars Program 2017-2018 – formerly the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship Program – Google is furthering Dr. Anita Borg’s vision of creating gender equality in the field of computer science by encouraging women to excel in computing and technology and become active leaders and role models in the field.
- An academic scholarship, awarded based on academic performance, leadership, and impact on the community of women in tech.
- An opportunity to connect with fellow scholars and Google mentors, while participating in professional and personal development trainings and workshops
- An online network with fellow scholars program participants designed to share resources, support the global community of women in tech and collaborate on projects to make continued impact.
- Women Techmakers Scholars will each receive $10,000 USD (for students in the US) or $5,000 CAD (for students in Canada) for the 2017-2018 academic year.
- A group of female undergraduate and graduate students will be chosen from the applicant pool, and scholarships will be awarded based on the strength of each candidate’s academic background and demonstrated leadership and impact on community.
- All scholarship recipients will be invited to attend the annual Google Scholars’ Retreat in Mountain View, California in 2017 to connect with fellow scholars, network with Googlers and participate in a number of development workshops.
- Professional development and community outreach opportunities will continue to be offered after the retreat.
- As a Women Techmakers Scholar, applicants will join a global community of Scholars Program participants designed to provide a forum to share resources, support other women in tech and collaborate on projects to make continued impact.
- Identify as female
- Currently be enrolled at an accredited university for the 2016-2017 academic year
- Intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time student in a Bachelors, Masters or PhD program at a university in the United States or Canada for the 2017-2018 academic year
- Be studying computer science, computer engineering or a closely related technical field
- Demonstrate a strong academic record
- Exemplify leadership and demonstrate passion for increasing the involvement of women in computer science
How to Apply
Applicants can apply via given website.
- General background information (includes contact information and information about your current and intended institutions)
- Academic transcripts from your current and prior institutions (if you have earned a prior degree)
- Responses to four essay questions
- Current resume
- Two letters of reference from a professor, instructor, adviser or supervisor
North America: United States & Canada
Europe, the Middle East and Africa: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom (UK), Vatican City (Holy See). Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen. Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Cote d’Ivorie, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Asia Pacific: Australia, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia, Canada, China, Chile, Cook Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kiribati, Laos, Malaysia Maldives, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Mongolia, Nauru, Nepal, New Zealand, New Caledonia, Niue, North Korea, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Russia, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Vietnam, United States
For more information, please visit Google Women Techmakers Scholars Program 2017-2018.