DFID’s Logistics Innovation for Trade (LIFT) program is designed to develop and test new ideas that reduce the cost and time of transport and logistics in East Africa. It is open to businesses throughout the world that are operating, or will operate, in the East African Community (EAC).
LIFT aims to promote innovation in East Africa’s transport and logistics industry. It will support the East African industry to:
- introduce new technology that will help to reduce the time and cost of transport and ensure better coordination of the logistics chain
- innovate new business models, such as third party logistics, that enable Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs) to participate in the logistics chain
- introduce new services, such as pallet exchanges, third party warehousing, distribution and packaging centres and ICT platforms that enable buyers to find the right suppliers and facilitate more efficient logistics
- improve financial services and manpower training in the industry
- document how to reduce red tape, advocate for regulatory reforms and en-forcement of standards
- Private sector/business
- The lead organisation can either be an established local or foreign company or organisation that will operate in the East African Community ie Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda.
- For commercial projects, the lead applicant must be a private for-profit organization. For projects promoting reforms, non-profit organi-sations will also be considered.
For more information, please visit LIFT.