Deadline: 3 February 2017
The annual Front Line Defenders Award was established in 2005 to honour the work of a human rights defender who, through non-violent work, is courageously making an outstanding contribution to the promotion and protection of the human rights of others, often at great personal risk.
The Award seeks to focus international attention on the human rights defender’s work, thus contributing to the recipient’s personal security, and a cash prize of €15,000 is awarded to the Award recipient and her/his organisation in an effort to support the continuation of this important work.
Front Line Defenders was founded in Dublin in 2001 with the specific aim of protecting human rights defenders at risk (HRDs), people who work, non-violently, for any or all of the rights enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR). Front Line Defenders addresses the protection needs identified by HRDs themselves.
The mission of Front Line Defenders is to protect, defend, support, and act for and with human rights defenders whose lives and health are at risk because of their peaceful and legitimate activities. In providing protection and support to human rights defenders, Front Line Defenders and its staff are committed to:
- focusing on the primacy and centrality of defenders;
- demonstrating profound respect and empathy for defenders;
- meeting the needs expressed by defenders in a fast, flexible and relentless manner;
- achieving tangible impact;
- acting with independence, impartiality and integrity;
- performing with dedication, professionalism and accountability;
- showing transparency and openness; and
- developing participative and cooperative relations.
- Incomplete nominations will not be considered. Please complete the nomination form in full and provide all of the information requested.
- Nominations can be submitted by organisations or individuals.
- Nominations can be made in English, Spanish, French, Russian, Arabic and Farsi. We will also accept Chinese and Portuguese submissions via the English and Spanish nomination forms respectively.
- Individual nominees may not play a prominent role in a political party and must be currently active in human rights work (the Front Line Defenders Award is not intended to recognise a historical or posthumous contribution).
- Nominees should be active human rights defenders, and must not be living in exile.
- Self-nomination is not permitted.
- All nominations must be accompanied by 2 referees.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must apply via given website.
For more information, please visit 2017 Front Line Defenders Award.