Deadline: 1 March 2017
Applications are open for Social Innovation Tournament to recognize and support the best European social entrepreneurs. It is organized every year in a different country to reward and sponsor European entrepreneurs whose primary purpose is to generate a social, ethical or environmental impact.
The Tournament seeks to promote the generation of innovative ideas and identify/reward opportunities promising substantial societal benefits or demonstrating best practices with tangible, scalable outcomes.
Projects are typically related to combating unemployment, marginalization of disadvantaged communities and promoting access to education in a wide range of fields, from education and health care to natural or urban environment, through new technologies, new systems, and new processes.
The Tournament runs in two rounds: Key evaluation criteria for the 1st round selection include the relative significance of the problem targeted, the sustainability of the innovation proposed and the estimated social impact of the proposed solution. The second round assessment will take account of the likelihood for implementation based on the scope of the proposal’s social vision and its overall cost effectiveness as well as the team’s commitment, strategy and implementation capacity.
- Four prizes are awarded by a Jury, composed of specialists from the academic and business world: General Category and Special Category 1st and 2nd Prizes of EUR 50 000 and EUR 20 000 respectively.
- In 2017, the Special Category Prizes will go to projects focusing on ageing.
- The EIB Institute Tournament responds to the considerable need for greater emphasis on Social Innovation and aims to attract interest from both non-for-profit and for-profit organisations, mainly from young entrepreneurs and social enterprises, corporate responsibility departments of private-sector companies of any size, NGOs and government or local government entities and university communities. Entries from student teams are also welcome.
- The Tournament is open to individuals or teams from (or residing in) the European Union Member States, Candidate and Potential Candidate countries, and EFTA countries that submit proposals to be implemented in one or more such countries.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply by filling the online application form given on the website.
- European Union Countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK
- EFTA Countries: Iceland, Norway, Principality of Liechtenstein, Switzerland
For more information, please visit Social Innovation Tournament.