Deadline: 12 June 2017
The Swiss Programme for Research on Global Issues for Development (r4d programme) is currently seeking proposals for its funding programme for development-relevant research on global issues. The main goals of the “Swiss Programme for Research on Global Issues for Development” (r4d programme) are the generation of new knowledge and the application of innovative, transnational research results in policy and practice for addressing global issues and reducing poverty in African, Asian and Latin American countries.
The r4d programme consists of six modules, one thematically open module and five thematic modules. In the thematically open module, researchers submit bottom-up projects free of thematic specifications. The five thematic modules address the following themes:
- Causes of and solutions to social conflicts in the context of weak public institutions or state fragility;
- Employment in the context of sustainable development;
- Sustainable management of ecosystems for the provision of ecosystem services;
- Innovation in agricultural and food systems for food security;
- Provision systems and financing mechanisms in the public health sector.
Funding and Duration
- Each funded project has a running time of maximally 4 years and a total budget of about CHF 600’000.
- The total budget available for the 3rd Thematically Open Call is CHF 5.5 million, from which 8-10 projects can be funded.
- All researchers working at research institutions in Switzerland are eligible, except responsible grantees of an ongoing r4d project within a thematic module or in the thematically open research module.
- All researchers originating from a developing country and based at an institution in Africa, Asia and Latin America are eligible (according to the country list in Table 2).
- The scientific personnel must be employed at an institution that does not conduct research for commercial purposes. Subcontracting to commercial service providers is permissible, provided they are not co-applicants.
How to Apply
Pre-proposals and full proposals must be submitted online via given website.
Eligible Countries: Afghanistan, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Armenia, Angola, Kenya, Bolivia, Bangladesh, Tajikistan, Cabo Verde, Benin, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Bhutan, Congo, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Burundi, Egypt, Cambodia, El Salvador, Central African Rep., Georgia, Chad, Ghana, Comoros, Guatemala, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Guyana, Djibouti, Honduras, Equatorial Guinea, India, Eritrea, Indonesia, Ethiopia, Kosovo, Gambia, Kyrgyzstan, Guinea, Micronesia, Guinea-Bissau, Moldova, Haiti, Mongolia, Kiribati, Morocco, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Nicaragua, Lesotho, Nigeria, Liberia, Pakistan, Madagascar, Papua New Guinea, Malawi, Paraguay, Mali, Philippines, Mauritania, Samoa, Mozambique, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Swaziland, Nepal, Syrian Arab Republic, Niger, Tokelau, Rwanda, Ukraine, Sao Tome and Principe, Uzbekistan, Senegal, Vietnam, Sierra Leone, West Bank and Gaza, Strip, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia
For more information, please visit r4d Programme.