Deadline: 24 May 2016
The Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Government of India, and the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) jointly announces a call for proposals under the topic of Water for Health 2016 to support high quality research and development programmes aiming at ‘new’ wastewater management to ensure good quality fresh water free of risk-causing contaminants and promote productive, safe reuse of water, thereby enhancing human and environmental health conditions.
- Sustainable bio-technological wastewater treatment that ensures effluent discharge standards (Indian legislation) and the recovery and reuse of water, nutrients and energy.
- Technological solutions for removal of specific constituents causing risks by discharge or reuse (e.g. pathogens, heavy metals, specific organic toxic compounds such as micropollutants (pharmaceuticals) from wastewater.
- Differentiation in technological solutions and therefore final discharge quality in relation to a final destination of treated water (discharge, type of reuse (agriculture, urban, industrial, etc.)
- Technological schemes should account for a variety of scales, accelerating urbanisation, growing demands and adaptable end uses.
- Technological schemes should be able to positively react on the dynamics in wastewater characteristics caused by population growth, the variety and types of prevailing (small) industries and climate change.
- Different types of reuse of reclaimed water should be considered.
- Monitoring and control of untreated and treated water.
- Political and social engagement.
- The proposed solution should be socially accepted by the end users.
- The Dutch part of the programme grants are subject to a maximum of €1.470.000.
- The maximum STW contribution is €490.000 euro per project.
- Indian principal investigators acting as (co)-applicants should be affiliated with a public funded academic or research organisation in India besides meeting other criteria that may be set by DBT.
- Industry can only act as partners, and are not eligible for DBT or STW funding.
How to Apply
Applicants must download the Expression of interest form via given website.
For more information, please visit Water for Health 2016.