Rise invites 15-17 year olds from around the world to participate in the Rise Challenge.
Rise is a program that finds brilliant people who need opportunity and supports them as they work to serve others. The program starts at ages 15–17 and offers access to benefits such as scholarships, mentorship, access to career development opportunities, funding, and more as Global Winners work toward solving humanity’s most pressing problems.
An initiative of Schmidt Futures and the Rhodes Trust, Rise is the anchor program of a $1 billion commitment from Eric and Wendy Schmidt to find and support global talent.
Each year, Rise invites 15-17 year olds from around the world to participate in the Rise Challenge. Unlike many traditional applications, Rise uses videos, projects, and group interviews so applicants have multiple opportunities to showcase their potential. For applicants without access to a video recording device, they offer the option of submitting text responses. For applicants without access to technology, they offer an alternative low-tech pathway through paper applications.
What makes Rise different from other programs?
- Rise is for life.
- They offer benefits such as access to funding opportunities and a global network that will impact winners throughout their lives, making this one of the largest, if not the largest, award programs for individuals in the world.
- Rise is a global community.
- They connect talent from over 170 countries, with inaugural Global Winners hailing from 42 countries across 6 continents.
- Rise looks for brilliance.
- They look for hidden brilliance, in whatever form it takes, wherever it is in the world. From high school classrooms, to refugee camps, to science fairs, they believe that brilliance is equally distributed, but opportunity is not. They’re on a mission to change the odds for the world’s most brilliant people from a young age and throughout their lives.
What are the benefits of applying to Rise?
- Everyone who applies joins a global community of leaders and gains access to free online courses and opportunities from their partners around the world.
- Finalists participate in educational and leadership courses, as an award from Rise, to level up their skills and grow their networks. They also gain access to additional funding opportunities to experiment with innovative ideas to solve their hardest challenges.
- 100 Global Winners receive benefits for life to help them scale their impact. These benefits include a needs-based college scholarship, invitation to a Residential Summit, and mentorship and career services, and could also include graduate scholarships and funding to start a social enterprise, depending on the quality of idea and need for support as they work to serve others.
- Applicants for the 2023 cohort must be between the ages of 15 and 17 as of July 1, 2023, meaning they are born on or between July 2, 2005 and July 1, 2008.
- It does not matter what country they live in, background they come from, or academic experience they have. Whether they are interested in science, innovation, technology, art, policy, community organizing, or any other discipline—they want to hear from them.
- Rise is a program that finds brilliant people who need opportunity and supports them as they work to serve others. They understand that economic barriers are not the only challenges that keep brilliant people from serving others throughout their lives.
For more information, visit https://www.risefortheworld.org/