Deadline: 30 September 2017
Applications are currently open for 2018 UNWTO Ethics Award a category that has been incorporated into the UNWTO Awards in 2016 and is conferred by the World Committee on Tourism Ethics to tourism companies and trade associations that have signed the Private Sector Commitment to the Global Code of Ethics and have reported on its implementation.
As a subsidiary organ of the UNWTO General Assembly, the World Committee on Tourism Ethics is the independent body responsible for overseeing the implementation of the UNWTO Global Code of Ethics for Tourism (GCET), a set of principles designed to guide sustainable tourism development.
The Private Sector Commitment to the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism summarizes the provisions of the UNWTO Code of Ethics that are most clearly related to the private sector and Corporate Social Responsibility:
- Promote gender equality, human rights and combat the exploitation of human beings, particularly children;
- Safeguard the natural environment, protect natural heritage, preserve resources and avoid waste production;
- Integrate and consult locals in the destination’s economic and social fabric development and evaluate the environmental impact of development projects;
- Provide tourists with objective and honest information and contribute to their cultural and spiritual fulfilment; and
- Guarantee fundamental rights of salaried and self-employed workers. And contribute to sustainable development of tourism and equitable distribution of benefits of its growth.
- There are four categories of Awards for specific tourism initiatives:
- There are two categories of Awards for individuals:
- UNWTO Ulysses Prize for Excellence in the Creation and Dissemination of Knowledge
- UNWTO Award for Lifetime Achievement
- Since 2016 there is an Award for signatories of the Private Sector Commitment to the Global Code of Ethics for tourism:
- UNWTO Ethics Award
- The eligible candidates for the UNWTO Ethics Award, all signatories of the Private Sector Commitment to the Code that have reported on its implementation, will have to showcase excellence in the implementation of the principles of the Code within their business operations and practices in the sphere of Corporate Social Responsibility.
- The candidates must demonstrate long-lasting and positive impact of their actions in at least two of the following fields related to the principles of the Code:
- Corporate governance and business ethics;
- Employment quality;
- Social Equity and Human Rights;
- Community Well-Being;
- Environmental sustainability.
- The major criteria for the Award are:
- Have responded to at least one of the Reporting Questionnaires received from the WCTE;
- Social impact of the initiative;
- Proven track record in CSR policies with the commitment of the highest representatives of the company/association and involvement of staff;
- Exportability and proved international outreach of the initiative;
- Local impact and community involvement;
- Alignment with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals
- Applications for the UNWTO Ethics Award can be made by any company or association that has signed the Private Sector Commitment to the Global Code of Ethics at an official signing ceremony and complies with the criteria indicated.
- The submitted initiatives are expected to have attained a certain degree of implementation. Non-implemented initiatives shall not be considered.
- In support of the application, each candidate must provide recommendation letters from three independent referees who can confirm the veracity of the application.
- Current Members of the WCTE and staff members of the UNWTO shall be ineligible to submit an application or receive the UNWTO Ethics Award. Nor shall be considered initiatives which have or have had UNWTO´s or the Committee’s participation in their design and/or implementation.
- Applications that are incomplete or received after the deadline (30 September 2017) will not be considered.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must download application form available in the given website.
For more information, please visit 2018 UNWTO Ethics Award.