Deadline: Ongoing Opportunity
Submissions are now open for the #SDG16Now, a global civil society campaign to support accelerated action towards SDG16+ around peaceful, just and inclusive societies.
At the halfway point to the 2030 delivery date for the SDGs and the 2030 Agenda, governments and the international community must seize the moment at the September 2023 SDG Summit to reinvigorate commitments and financing for SDG16+, to bring progress towards the SDGs back on track.
- Whether you are a civil society organization, state, UN agency, business or philanthropic group the #SDG16Now Campaign presents various options to ensure that the September 2023 Sustainable Development Goals Summit represents a catalyzing moment to realize the development and human rights aspirations enshrined in SDG16+. Explore the below opportunities to advocate, connect and mobilize for transformative commitments and renewed resourcing for SDG16+.
- To mobilize civil society and all stakeholders to publicly call for transformative action on SDG16+.
- To advocate for governments to commit to accelerated action and additional resourcing to realize SDG 16+ at all levels.
- To connect civil society to key global processes and national stakeholders, and showcase the leadership role of civil society in advancing SDG16.
Why the #SDG16Now Campaign?
- Overall, the global community is behind schedule on achieving the SDG’s ambitious targets, including SDG16+. As they approach the halfway point of the 2030 Agenda, the world faces the pressing reality that, in many countries and communities, progress towards sustainable development is backsliding.
- In September 2023, the UN will host a global UN SDG Summit, which will provide a crucial opportunity for a broad range of SDG16+ stakeholders to advocate for renewed commitments, increased resourcing and civil society space to advance SDG16+ in advance of and during the SDG Summit.
What they’re calling for?
- Mobilize Transformative Commitments for SDG16+
- Governments and all stakeholders must make specific and transformative commitments to advancing SDG16+ at the 2023 SDG Summit and other key moments, and ensure follow-up and accountability to these commitments #Commitments4SDG16Now.
- Strengthen and Catalyze Robust Financing for SDG16+
- Governments, International Financial Institutions (IFIs) and donors must scale up investments in SDG16+ at all levels, including through additional support for civil society and grassroots communities.
- Recognize and Harness the Indispensable Role of Civil Society for SDG16+’
- Civil society must be recognized as a critical component in advancing SDG16+ and the 2030 Agenda at all levels, including through robust participation and engagement around the 2023 SDG Summit and beyond.
For more information, visit TAP Network.