The ASEAN Foundation, with support from GIZ on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and SAP, has launched the ASEAN Social Enterprises Development Programme (ASEAN-SEDP).
This programme will provide social enterprises in ASEAN with access to more significant opportunities to improve their ventures through mentorship, facilitation, trade of knowledge from a network of the region’s social enterprises, financing, and access to market places.
This programme aims for better economic progress in the ASEAN region while also impacting the poverty alleviation, working in line towards achieving SDGs. ASEAN-SEDP is designed to build a greater socio-economic condition of the ASEAN region through social enterprises empowerment. In reference to the values of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) and the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community (ASCC), this programme aims to engendering a culture of social entrepreneurship to youths in ASEAN.
The ASEAN Foundation with the support of GIZ and SAP will be implementing the ASEAN Social Enterprise Development Programme (ASEAN SEDP) with the following objectives:
- To sustain youth entrepreneurship through structured capacity building and mentoring programmes;
- To empower youth-led social enterprises across the ASEAN region through
- Promoting productivity, technology and Innovation;
- Increasing access to finance;
- Enhancing market access and internationalization; and
- Promoting entrepreneurship and human capital development.
- To achieve SDG 1 – No Poverty, SDG 3 – Good Health and Well-Being, SDG 4 – Quality Education, SDG 5 – Gender Equality, SDG 12 – Responsible Consumption and Production, and SDG 13 – Climate Action through social enterprises empowerment with specified targets detailed in the challenges Section.
Social enterprises from ASEAN countries that are implementing projects and creating products solving challenges related to the SDGs mentioned above with the following qualifications are eligible to apply:
- 50% of the Social Enterprises team members are aged between 18 to 35 years old.
- A team must comprise at least 2 members with at least one team member having ASEAN nationality.
- As part of promoting ASEAN identity and encouraging cross-national and cross-border cooperation, it is desirous that a team consists of at least one member having different ASEAN nationality and/or reside in a different ASEAN country.
- All team members must be currently residing in the following ASEAN countries: Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- If selected, each team must be fully committed to participating in the full cycle of the programme
- The social enterprise must be in the early stage of the implementation; its project is local and has been in an operation for more than 5 months (preferable); and it has actively been seeking professional support for scale-up and growth and/or funding.
- Some team members must have good English as the programme will be in English
For more information, visit https://www.aseanfoundation.org/asean_sedp_call_for_applications_is_now_open