The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is inviting proposals from institution/organization/company for Organizing Capacity Building Trainings for ALS Teachers and Girl Learners on the Utilization of the Newly Developed ALS Modules: ALS Teachers’ Guidebooks and Students’ Workbooks in General Santos City and Region XII.
UNESCO Office Jakarta is supporting the Department of Education (DepEd) in strengthening its Alternative Learning System (ALS) programme and contributing to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), in particular SDG 4 in the Philippines. Since July 2017, UNESCO has implemented a project called “Better Life for Out-of-School Girl to Fight Against Poverty and Injustice in the Philippines” with the funding from Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA).
Under the component of developing the ALS curriculum in parallel and equivalent to K-12 to improve the quality of ALS teacher’s instructional knowledge and skills as well as the capacity of ALS Girl Learners, the ALS Teachers Guidebooks and ALS Students Workbooks were developed. These ALS resources were developed based on the enhanced ALS curriculum for use by Junior Secondary Level (Grades 7-10). The modules cover six learning strands (LS) as follows:
- Learning Strand 1: Communication Skills for English and Filipino;
- Learning Strand 2: Scientific and Critical Thinking Skills;
- Learning Strand 3: Mathematical and Problem-Solving Skills;
- Learning Strand 4: Life and Career Skills;
- Learning Strand 5: Understanding the Self and Society;
- Learning Strand 6: Digital Literacy.
With this, trainings on the use of these new modules and utilization of official learning resources are deemed necessary for the benefit of both ALS Teachers and Girl Learners. The trainings will cover the 6+1 learning strands including life-skills training to teachers and girl learners taken from the Learning Strand 4 specified as the Life and Career Skills.
- In cooperation with the Philippines’ Department of Education, specifically the Bureau of Alternative Education (BAE) and under UNESCO’s guidance, the capacity building trainings will consist of organizing series of training for ALS teachers and girl learners. The general objective of the training is to impart knowledge on the use of the newly developed ALS teachers’ guidebooks and students’ workbooks and teach skills related to the contents of the teaching and learning materials as part of the inputs for life-skills training.
- The specific objectives of the trainings are as follows:
- Training for ALS teachers on the ALS Teacher’s Guidebooks (Session Guides) and Students’ Books:
- Orient and familiarize ALS teachers on the ALS teacher’s guidebooks and students’ workbooks under the 6+1 Learning Strands (LS).
- Understand the Session Guides, concepts, ideas and knowledge and the lessons of the learning strands.
- Clarify issues related to the methodologies and steps in the session guides and lessons.
- Learning Sessions for ALS Girl-Learners Using the ALS Students’ Workbooks:
- Learn from each lesson imparted by trained ALS teachers or trainers using the ALS students’ workbooks.
- Understand the Lessons, concepts, ideas and knowledge of each module of the learning strands.
- Learn and understand the concepts, ideas and knowledge of specific life-skills inputs received from ALS teachers or trainers.
- Develop specific actions in the application of specific life-skills learned and acquired from the learning session.
- Training for ALS teachers on the ALS Teacher’s Guidebooks (Session Guides) and Students’ Books:
Tasks and Responsibilities
- In close consultation with the UNESCO’s team in the Philippines and with the guidance of the Bureau of Alternative Education of the Department of Education, develop and design the training schedule with the following minimum requirements:
- Develop the training schedule for teachers and girl learners on the use of the ALS Teacher’s Guidebooks and Students’ Books covering 6+1 Learning Strands.
- The training should target of 500 ALS teachers and 500 ALS girl learners from General Santos City and Region XII and shall be conducted within General Santos City.
- The Session Guides Training for ALS teachers and The Learning Sessions for ALS girl learners should cover 6 Learning Strands, and the Life Skills Trainings should cover the content of the LS 4: Life and Career and Skills.
- The training session shall be conducted for 5 days for ALS teachers consisting of 3 days for Teachers’ Session Guides and 2 days for Life Skills, and 5 days for ALS girl learners consisting of 3 days for Learning Sessions and 2 days for Life Skills.
- The tasks for delivering the above-mentioned trainings include but not limited to:
- In coordination with the UNESCO Team and BAE of DepEd, identify and finalize the list of trainers and participants which are based on the recommendation of BAE.
- Closely coordinate with the DepEd Regional Offices together with UNESCO Team in the Philippines as well as with the concerned Schools Division Superintendents and ALS Focal Persons of the area where the training is going to be conducted, in the preparation and organization of the trainings towards its execution and completion.
- Developed training programme agenda of each of the training session which shall be outlined with specific time duration in the delivery of the contents, with the identified respective trainer for each topic and the target output of each topic/session, including the required materials and teaching aids.
- Follow the current and prevailing COVID-19 health protocols in delivering the training activities to participants.
- Carry out and facilitate the completion of the pre-test and post-test in each training session/activity both for ALS teachers and girl learners; collect, collate and analyse the results of the completed pre-test and post-test to be included in the training reports.
- Regularly consult with UNESCO on the training plan, and participate, where necessary, in on-line or in-person meetings with the UNESCO team.
- Submit to UNESCO Jakarta for approval the soft and/or hard copy of the followings:
- Training schedule and agenda, and list of trainers and participants, proposed printing plan no later than 7 April 2023;
- Training report on conducted ALS teachers or girl learners training no later than 24 April 2023;
- Final Training Report no later than 31 July 2023
- A legal institution or organization with vast experience in organizing and implementing education related initiatives amongst learners, education professional and stakeholders in Southeast Asia region;
- It is mandatory that the institution has a legal identity and status as an institution/organization to organize and implement education related initiatives amongst learners, education professional and stakeholders in Southeast Asia region, specifically in the Philippines;
- Having an extensive knowledge and experience in organizing, implementing skills training for students and teachers and development of education courses materials;
- It is mandatory that the institution has a minimum of 3 years of experience and engagement in organizing, implementing skills training for students and teachers and development of education courses materials;
- Having prior experience in collaborating with United Nations agencies and familiar with its development framework and strategies;
- It is desirable that the institution has a minimum of 3 years of experience in working with United Nations agencies or international nongovernmental organizations or similar entities and has implemented or demonstrated at least 1 project linked to SDGs in particular SDG 4 – Quality Education or similar development programmes will be an advantage.
- Excellent networks and linkages in the field of education and development work as well as individual contacts in education fields
- It is desirable that the institution has an excellent networks and linkages in the field of education and development work in Asia and the Pacific region, particularly in the Philippines.
- Knowledge of official languages and local languages in the Philippines
- It is desirable that the institution has excellent knowledge of the official languages of the Philippines.
- Project Coordinator: Professional experience in specialization field
- It is mandatory for the proposed Project Coordinator to have a minimum of 5 years of experience in project management related to organizational development and facilitation of learning events within the context of educational programmes.
- It is desirable for the Project Coordinator to have experience in a minimum of 2 successfully implemented projects in organizing and facilitating related activities in teaching or training on non-formal education learning contents and life skills financial literacy, basic business management and accounting and bookkeeping courses with different audience and groups.
- It is desirable that the Project Coordinator has a relevant academic background and professional qualification having expertise and professional experience in teaching or training on non-formal education learning contents and life skills financial literacy, basic business management and accounting and bookkeeping courses with different audience and groups.
- Team Members: Human resources in specialization field
- It is mandatory that the total number of team (5 or more) members working for facilitating the ALS training should at least be having expertise and professional experience in teaching or training on non-formal education learning contents and life skills financial literacy, basic business management and accounting and bookkeeping courses with different audience and groups with attached CVs of the members of the team to indicate their professional qualifications and background.
- It is also mandatory that the facilitating team having expertise and professional experience of 3 years or above for experience in teaching or training on non-formal education learning contents and life skills financial literacy, basic business management and accounting and bookkeeping courses with different audience and groups.
For more information, visit United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.