The United Nations system in the Kyrgyz Republic together with the State Agency for Youth, Physical Culture and Sports (SAYPCS) announced a call for applications under the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Youth Ambassadors Programme.
The Ambassadors will be acting on a voluntary basis and will get support from the UN System in the Kyrgyz Republic and SAYPCS, including by training, mentoring as well as an opportunity to take part in various events.
The Programme will be split into two stages. The first stage – SDG Academy – will gather 20 participants over 4 months for in-depth study of the SDGs and training different skills via several educational events. During the second stage the 5 best out of 20 participants will become SDG Youth Ambassadors and will be promoting the SDGs during 6 months; each Ambassador will represent one of the five dimensions of sustainable development (planet, people, prosperity, peace, partnership).
The Programme goals are:
- raise awareness on the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs among the population of the Kyrgyz Republic, especially youth,
- empower youth SDG activists in the country,
- strengthen platforms for engaging opinions between youth and national stakeholders responsible for coordinating SDG action in the Kyrgyz Republic.
- Participation in this Programme gives young activists an opportunity to expand their knowledge and strengthen competencies and skills needed to promote the sustainable development agenda.
- Within the first stage participants will be able to build capacity in promoting youth participation in achieving the SDGs through a special education programme by the UN System, SAYPCS and partners.
- Participants selected for the second stage will have an opportunity to conduct their own initiatives in promoting the SDGs, get mentors’ support from the UN System and take part in national and international events on the SDGs, representing the voices of youth of the Kyrgyz Republic.
- Actively promote the SDGs and the overall 2030 Agenda among peers, at local and national level in the Kyrgyz Republic and mobilise youth of the country for SDG action, including by:
- preparing and disseminating information to increase awareness about the SDGs among various stakeholder groups,
- Conducting presentations, trainings and other events on the SDGs and the 2030 Agenda in different institutions,
- Spreading information on recent events (such as publications, reports, conferences and other updates), taking place at national and global levels and related to the SDGs, via various communication channels.
- Take part in and support national, regional and international events related to the SDGs and other events of national stakeholders, the UN System, governmental and non-governmental organisations and other stakeholders.
- Take part in regular coordination meetings and other events of the SDG Youth Ambassadors Programme.
- Document and consolidate own experience, best practices, cases and success stories, collected during own activity as SDG Youth Ambassador, in written /graphic/video formats;
- Make effort to mobilise resources for the implementation of own initiatives and projects as SDG Youth Ambassadors.
- Support and promote the values and principles of the UN.
- The eligibility criteria for participation in the first stage of the SDG Youth Ambassadors Programme are:
- age 18 to 28,
- citizenship of the Kyrgyz Republic,
- completed basic general education (9 grades of school),
- written and spoken Russian and/or Kyrgyz skills.
- Overall requirements for candidates are:
- at least 2 years of experience in activism/volunteerism/work on advocacy/promotion/improvement of youth-related issues at any level and/or leadership experience;
- knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals,
- basic knowledge about sustainable development issues in the Kyrgyz Republic at national and local levels,
- understanding of problems and opportunities of youth in the Kyrgyz Republic;
- excellent communication and publications skills,
- PC skills and skills in using online communication tools (e.g. Zoom, Skype and other) experience in teamwork,
- Adherence to values and principles of the UN.
- The following will be advantages:
- Experience in promotion in social media,
- Knowledge of the basic principles of youth participation and youth policy of the UN,
- Good English language skills.
- The applicants should take into account that participation in the Programme will require quality engagement and should be ready to allocate enough time for successful participation in the programme (at least several hours per week) during the first stage and (in case selected further) during the second stage (from November 2020 until August 2021). The applicants should not be officially affiliated with political parties. The Programme participants from 2019-2020 are not eligible to apply.
Selection of the 20 participants of the SDG Academy will be conducted in two stages:
- All online applications will be checked for eligibility. Eligible applications (including filled in online forms together with videos) will be ranked according to relevance to the overall requirements.
- Candidates with the most relevance to overall requirements will be invited for an online interview with a selection committee consisting of representatives of the UN System and SAYPCS.
- During the selection of participants, the following will also be taken into account: gender balance, geographic balance, as well as such criteria as belonging to vulnerable groups, diversity in age, experience, professional background.
For more information, visit https://kyrgyzstan.un.org/en/96396-applications-open-sdg-youth-ambassadors-programme