The Democratic Alliance’s (DA) Young Leaders Programme (YLP) is now open for applications to develop and grow the country’s future leaders responsible for upholding this vision of One Nation with One Future, and their core values of Freedom, Fairness, Opportunity and Diversity in politics and government.
The DA’s Young Leaders Program (YLP) is a political leadership learning and development program for South Africans between the ages of 18 and 35 who align themselves with the DA’s values of Freedom, Fairness, Opportunity and Diversity. Participants of the program are highly motivated individuals, interested in pursuing a career in politics or the public service, with the aim of creating One Nation with One Future.
The YLP is carefully designed to develop an entire set of competencies in order to grow a pool of knowledgeable, articulate, emotionally intelligent and resilient leaders who can one day lead the DA at a national level.
These competencies include a wide range of practical and philosophical knowledge of politics, critical thinking and communication skills, as well as a high level of self-awareness and resilience over the course of one year.
What do they look for in a potential Young Leader?
- Young Leaders are individuals who are already making a difference where they are. They are known for the values and principles they live by, and are committed to not only bringing about change in their communities, but to also growing and developing their own potential.
- Their Young Leaders are able to align their own personal value set to the DA’s liberal values, and are passionate about working hard towards a better South Africa, considering politics and government as a serious career option for their own future.
- Young Leaders are innovators and dreamers. They are never complacent or content with how things are ; they are always aspiring to greater heights, rising to new challenges, and willing to learn more.
- Young Leaders typically demonstrate many of the following characteristics:
- A personal ideological alignment to the DA’s vision of One Nation with One Future, rooted in their values of Freedom, Fairness, Opportunity and Diversity;
- A high level of interest in, and knowledge about, South African politics and current affairs;
- An excellent understanding of the DA’s principles and policies;
- Has a demonstrable leadership track record;
- Examples and evidence of having taken initiative, stepping outside normal roles to start something new;
- The ability to argue and reason well;
- Passion, drive and confidence;
- An authentic motivation to be actively involved in politics in the future;
- A high level of self-awareness, maturity and emotional intelligence;
- Involvement in the D A.
- The YLP is open to all young South African citizens between the ages of 18 and 35, with a track-record of leadership excellence.
- These applicants must share the DA’s vision and must have proven themselves to be passionate leaders set on making a difference in South Africa.
- Participants must either be living in South Africa, or if they are temporarily abroad, be returning to South Africa in time for the start of the programme.
- The Young Leaders Program does not cover international traveling costs.
- All costs directly related to the YLP are covered by the DA.
For more information, visit https://www.da.org.za/get-involved/young-leaders-programme/