The African Union (AU), through the African Governance Architecture (AGA) Secretariat, in a joint project with the Common market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) have launched the “Democracy and Governance in Africa – Youth Innovation Challenge”.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
Youth innovators, innovation hubs and incubation centres across the continent, are invited to participate in the innovation challenge. The challenge calls for existing innovations that are making impact in the structural prevention of conflict through addressing issues of democracy deficit, lack of good governance and contribute to the promotion and protection of human rights.
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
The objective of this initiative is to identify and recognize existing youth innovations in democracy, governance and human rights that are contributing to the African Union theme of the year – Silencing the Guns in Africa.
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
- The 20 applicants will receive an opportunity for an accelerator training to help develop their ideas further, for expansion and greater impact. Experienced trainers and experts will be supporting the ideas to refine, improve and transform them into initiatives that will be magnified, replicated or scaled up.
- The jury will also screen and shortlist final innovations based on the ideas developed during the accelerator training and select final innovation/s to be awarded. The innovation/s will have a number of opportunities to be acknowledged namely on the African Union Commission’s initiatives on the theme of the year; AGA Annual dialogues, COMESA policy making bodies and others.
African innovators, innovation hubs/labs and organizations with a non-profit or for-profit background can apply based on the following selection criteria;
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
- The innovation should focus on Youth or innovation should be led by young person aged between 18-35;
- Innovators, Innovations, innovation hubs should be based in Africa; African diaspora are open to apply but innovation in focus should be focused or based in Africa;
- The submission should be based on an existing innovation (digital or non-digital) on or contributing to the following thematic areas;
- Enhancing good governance;
- Promoting democracy;
- Citizen participation;
- Creating social cohesion;
- Supporting public service;
- Justice and rule of law;
- Promoting and protection of human rights; and
- Other relevant thematic areas that contribute to the AU theme of the year – Silencing the Guns.
- The idea or innovation should have been implemented/tested with a level of success/ impact but have room for improvement, replication or scale up at national, regional or continental level;
- Innovation must reflect the mainstreaming of women and gender equality;
- Female innovators are highly encouraged to apply.
The top twenty (20) innovations will be long listed and only successful applicants with great innovations that have demonstrated exponential impact, will be notified. The review panel reserves the right to request for additional details from applicants. A public announcement of the successful applicants will be made in 6 weeks upon the closing of the open call.
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.
For more information, visit https://au.int/en/newsevents/20200625/democracy-and-governance-africa-youth-innovation-challenge