Nominations are open for the Her Abilities Award 2020 which is the first global award honouring the achievements of women with disabilities. Her Abilities was launched by Light for the World to honour women with disabilities who achieved greatness in their life or field of work.
Women with disabilities are one of the most marginalised groups globally. Their leadership potential and contributions are so often ignored. Her Abilities aims to tell those stories which are too seldom told. By highlighting the achievements of women with disabilities, the Award aims to celebrate success; break down barriers in public perception; and build a strong network of women committed to the further pursuit of equality and excellence.
Her Abilities will award the achievements of women with disabilities globally from the following three categories:
- Health & Education: Women with disabilities from the health or education sector, including but not limited to: teachers, teaching assistants, headmasters, university professors, doctors, surgeons, nurses, community health workers, etc.
- Rights: Women with disabilities from the advocacy and rights sector, who advocate for the rights of people with disabilities and their inclusion. They could be working for an NGO or charity, a business, within a governmental organisation, or simply in their local communities to achieve vital change.
- Arts, Culture & Sports: Women with disabilities from the arts, culture and sports sectors, including but not limited to: artists, actors, comedians, poets, Paralympians, runners, singers, swimmers, writers, etc.
- Everyone is eligible to nominate except members of the jury.
- Women with disabilities (from the age of 18) can be nominated.
- They must fit into one of the three categories mentioned above.
- Jury members and their family members.
- Light for the World staff and Board members.
- Anyone who does not identify as a woman with a disability.
For more information, visit https://www.her-abilities-award.org/