The Investments in Training Equipment Stream aims to increase union investment in training equipment and materials that meet industry standards or investments in new technology. It will fund projects that demonstrate gaps or needs for trades training equipment and/or materials to meet industry standards or investments in new technology for Red Seal apprentices and/or non-registered apprentices.
The Union Training and Innovation Program (UTIP) supports:
- Apprenticeship training
- Partnerships in the Red Seal trades across Canada
The Program also aims to improve the participation of key groups in the skilled trades to have a more inclusive workforce. The Program targets key groups, for example:
- Indigenous people
- Persons with disabilities
- Visible minorities
The program provides $25 million annually through two streams of funding:
Stream 1 – Investments in Training Equipment:
- Supports the purchase of equipment and materials needed to train workers in the Red Seal trades
- Project must be union-led
Stream 2 – Innovation in Apprenticeship:
- Supports innovative approaches to address apprenticeship challenges; and
- Supports partnerships between organizations
- Union involvement is required in the project
The UTIP’s objective is to improve the quality of training in the skilled trades enabling a more skilled, certified and productive workforce.
- Funding amount is up to $5,000,000.
Your project must meet all of the following criteria:
- Target training for apprentices and/or non-registered apprentices in Red Seal trades
- Solely support trades that are designated under the Interprovincial Standard Red Seal Program in the province(s) or territory(ies) in which proposed activities will be undertaken. A list of Red Seal trades, including the provinces and territories where they are designated, is available on the Ellis Chart, an online comparative database of apprenticeship programs.
- Be no longer than 36 months
- Request no more than $5,000,000 per project
Have contributions from sources other than Employment and Social Development Canada:
- cash equal to or more than 50% of the cost of new, up-to-date equipment and materials
30% cash contribution is acceptable if you can demonstrate that you face any of these challenges:
- remote location
- lack of infrastructure
- limited partnership opportunities
- Provide a quote for the purchase of training equipment or materials for apprentices and/or non-registered apprentices in Red Seal trades
- Eligible organizations may submit more than one application under this stream.
Your organization must be 1 of the following types:
- a union representing workers in Red Seal trades
- an organization managing training funds for Red Seal trades workers, for example:
- a joint training fund set up by a union
- a union and an employer association
- Note: Organizations in the Province of Quebec cannot apply for this program . The Government of Canada is providing the Government of Quebec with funding so that the Province can implement a program that accounts for the unique features of Quebec's apprenticeship system, while still respecting the design parameters of UTIP.
For more information, visit Government of Canada.
For more information, visit https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/funding/investments-training-equipment.html